This post was most recently updated on May 6th, 2023
Going for drugs or laser treatment for hair growth might be making you uneasy for several reasons. Luckily, dozens of natural remedies are there to help you overcome hair fall and promote hair growth. If you’re looking for the best home remedies for hair fall and regrowth then the following tips are geared to help you. Taking care of our hair as best as we can at home is very helpful.
There are lots of home remedies that you can do every day to reach your goals, for example, eating a healthy diet, taking dietary supplements with natural ingredients, better hair care habits, and exercising. This article will provide home remedies you can use to reduce hair fall and encourage hair growth. But before we jump further, let’s take a look at what is causing your hair to fall.
Why is My Hair Falling Out?
Before you take remedies, it’s worth knowing the key factor responsible for your hair fall issue. Hair fall can happen to anyone for various reasons. Whether baldness or noticeably thinning hair, men and women develop this symptom. It might be necessary to see a doctor if your hair fall is severe and consistent to get further medical treatment.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, people normally experience shedding 50 to 100 hairs a day. It is usually not noticeable as the new hair grows at the same time. Hair fall occurs when the hair that is lost is not replaced by new hair. This can be related to one or more of the following factors.
This type of hair fall occurs due to an autoimmune condition in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks your hair follicles, leading to a reduction in their size and also preventing hair growth. However, your hair follicles are still alive so certain treatments can revive these and then promote hair growth, such as minoxidil, laser therapy, steroid injections, and even natural treatments.
Alopecia areata can occur in both men and women, with signs of bald spots appearing on the head. A study shows that an anti-inflammatory diet is designed to reduce the autoimmune response and prevent subsequent hair fall. This diet includes blueberries, beets, broccoli, nuts, seeds, and lean meats. Taking vitamin D supplements can help fight and prevent hair loss, as alopecia areata is associated with vitamin D deficiency.
Otherwise known as male/ female pattern baldness, androgenic alopecia is caused by genetics and is usually linked to androgen, particularly DHT. Although this hormone is mostly found in men, women also produce it, especially during or after menopause when the estrogen levels decrease. DHT is converted by an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase which then flows through your bloodstream.
Eventually, DHT will reach your scalp which can trigger hair follicles to shrink and become less capable of producing new hair. The good news is that DHT production can be reduced or even stopped by consuming DHT blockers which you can find easily at pharmacies or online stores, such as Amazon. You can take saw palmetto-contained dietary supplements, wash your hair with a caffeine shampoo, or simply replace your black tea with green tea.
This is usually caused by certain triggering events that occur months after, such as crash diets, pregnancy, postpartum, surgery, accidents, stress, and having certain illnesses (e.g. Covid-19). Telogen Effluvium happens when your hair cycle is in the resting (telogen) phase for a long time. Thus, this causes the follicles to stay in a dormant state, resulting in hair fall without hair regrowth.
Since the main cause is stress due to certain events, reducing stress levels can help overcome them. Taking care of your hair with good hair treatment and reducing over-styling and even tight hairstyles is also crucial to reduce hair fall. Pregnant and breastfeeding women can take biotin supplements as the safest way to cater to hair fall. Finally, nourish your lifestyle with a healthy diet to get enough nutrients and vitamins.
Now let’s take a deeper dive into tips to reduce hair fall and promote hair growth.
Tips to Reduce Hair Fall and Promote Faster Hair Growth
If you find that your growth is stunted, there are certain changes you can make to your daily hair regimen to promote hair growth. There is no magic cure that will make your hair grow faster, but there are steps you can take to help your hair grow and prevent hair fall.
Proper Hair Care Habits
Hair care habits go beyond washing and conditioning your hair in the shower. Other important steps can also be factors for countering hair fall as well as preventing dull hair, dry scalp, and split ends. Here are the hassle-free tips you can do at home:
- Oiling: Before shampooing, apply hair oil as a hair mask to hydrate your hair and increase blood circulation to your scalp. You can use coconut oil, almond oil, or peppermint oil.
- Shampoo and Conditioner: We recommend choosing a sulfate-free shampoo to avoid brittle hair and being prone to breakage 2-3 times a week. For thicker hair, you can pick a “Volumizing” or “Thickening” shampoo to get a fuller appearance. Follow with an amino acids-packed conditioner to reduce tangles and repair damage.
- Hair Mask: This step is essential and ideal for very dry and damaged hair that needs extra moisture. Apply a hair mask 1-2 times a week to hydrate and soften your hair.
- Hair Serum: If you often style your hair with heat tools, hair serum is very helpful for repairing damage from the inside out. You can choose a topical agent that can reduce hair fall and accelerate hair growth.
- Regular Trim: Trimming your hair won’t make your hair grow faster, but it does help promote healthy hair by removing split ends. If your hair is in a good condition, it may grow about half an inch each month no matter how often you cut it.
By reducing the frequency of using hot tools and always using a heat protectant, you are also helping to support optimal hair health. Now let’s check the best essential hair oil for your hair.
Essential Oil Treatment
Here is a list of essential oils that you can use as a home treatment.
Peppermint essential oil may help with male/female pattern baldness caused by a lack of blood flow to the hair follicles. The menthol in peppermint oil can increase blood flow to the scalp, thus, it transports lots of nutrients to support the hair growth phase. Clinical trials have shown that peppermint oil is as effective as minoxidil.
To apply this oil, mix a few drops of peppermint oil with a carrier oil and massage it into your scalp. After 15-20 minutes, wash your hair with shampoo.
Just like peppermint oil, rosemary oil is beneficial for increasing blood flow to the scalp, leading to increased cell regeneration and hair growth. Rosemary essential oil can also help reduce DHT in the hair follicles making it suitable for androgenic alopecia recovery.
Mix a couple of drops of rosemary oil with olive oil or coconut oil, then massage it into your scalp. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then wash and condition your hair as usual.
Tea Tree Oil
Using a few drops of tea tree oil can detoxify the buildup of chemicals and dead skin cells on the scalp, leaving a healthy scalp that is optimal for hair growth. However, diluted tea tree extract may not be effective to treat hair fall caused by chemotherapy, autoimmune, genetics, and aging.
Pour 3-4 drops of tea tree oil into your carrier oil. Massage it into your scalp and let it sit for 15 minutes before washing it. You can also mix 10 drops of tea tree oil into your shampoo or conditioner.
Having thick and strong hair doesn’t just depend on what products you put on your hair, it also depends on what you put into your body.
Here are the best foods for decreasing hair fall.
- Eggs: Rich in protein and biotin, nutrients that play a major role in hair growth. It also contains zinc and selenium which can support the health of your hair.
- Spinach: Green vegetables packed with essential nutrients, including folate, iron, and vitamins A and C which can stimulate healthier hair growth. Iron deficiency can cause hair fall, so spinach is great for hair fall repair.
- Fatty Fish: Salmon, herring, and mackerel are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids which are great for hair growth and reduce hair fall.
- Soybeans: Spermidine, a compound in soy can stimulate hair growth by prolonging the anagen (active growth) phase. More research is needed to make recommendations for this intake.
- Berries: Rich in vitamin C works as an antioxidant that can help protect hair from free radicals. Vitamin C produces collagen which can strengthen your hair and prevent it from becoming brittle.
- Sweet Potatoes: Being a source of beta-carotene which can be converted into vitamin A for the body. Vitamin A deficiency can cause hair fall. Vitamin A can also control sebum production.
- Meat: The protein in red meat strengthens the hair follicles thereby promoting hair growth. It also contains iron that can deliver nutrients and oxygen to the scalp.
- Avocados: Loaded with vitamin E that provides antioxidants to neutralize free radicals and prevent hair fall.
A deficiency of certain vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamins A, C, B7, and iron can cause hair fall and stunted hair growth. This can be corrected by consuming healthy and nutritious food every day so that vitamin intake can be fulfilled.
Manage Stress and Do Exercise
A study shows that your stress levels can have a huge impact on hair fall. Stress may cause your hair follicles to go into a resting phase, causing your hair to fall out instead of growing new hair. You can manage stress by doing yoga and exercise to keep you physically and mentally healthy.
Yoga can reduce hair fall in two ways: It reduces stress and promotes blood flow to the head. Practicing yoga can help reduce stress-related serum cortisol levels that can lead to hair fall. Then, inverted (upside-down) poses may increase blood flow to the scalp. Although this is only a temporary effect, which is different from the effects of topical solutions. Here are yoga poses that may help to reduce hair fall:
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Prasarita Padottanasana
However, avoid doing inverted poses if you already have blood pressure as it can have a detrimental effect.
Besides reducing stress, regular exercise can relieve hormonal imbalances, such as menopause, menopause, and diabetes. It can stimulate blood flow throughout the body including the scalp thereby promoting hair growth. Here is a list of exercises to reduce hair fall:
- Jogging: 30 minutes of jogging can help stimulate blood circulation to your head. Regular practice can help the growth and overall hair health.
- Camel Pose: This exercise can help revitalize your blood cells, increasing blood flow throughout the body.
- HIIT: Stands for High-Intensity Interval Training, a mix of cardio and strength training using your body weight. You can do short HIIT at-home sessions that include crunches, bicycle crunches, planks, squats, hanging knee raises, mountain climbers, and pushups.
By reducing stress levels and balancing blood flow, exercise is a great way to help combat hair fall and stimulate healthier hair growth. Now, let’s take a look at natural remedies to reduce hair fall.
Simple Natural Home Remedies for Hair Fall and Regrowth
These few remedies are easy to do and may not take a lot of time. If you are a working mother or a man who is always on the run, it doesn’t matter. You can easily set your clock to the following self-care remedies and most importantly you don’t have to go behind expensive laser therapy.
Hot Oil Massage
Hot oil hair treatment is suitable for all hair types. For oily hair or scalp, use lightweight oil like jojoba and almond oils for better absorption. If you have dry or very dry hair, choose a heavier oil instead like coconut oil as it has a thick texture. You can also add a few drops of essential oil to the mixture, for example, a blend of coconut oil and rosemary oil. Follow these simple steps for a do-it-yourself hot oil treatment:
- Wash your hair thoroughly. Hot oil works better on clean hair, so it can get absorbed deeply into the hair cuticle.
- Microwave 3-6 tablespoons or more of the mixture oil until it is warm enough. Adjust the portion with the length of your hair.
- Apply the oil to your damp hair strands and massage it into your scalp to stimulate blood circulation.
- Let it sit overnight and wash your hair the next day.
Regular massage with hot oil not only encourages healthier hair by stimulating blood flow to your scalp, but it also has the potential to prevent hair fall and breakage. Other benefits are moisturized hair, prevention of dandruff, and helping combat damage due to heat styling or coloring.
It is easily said that the best remedies are found in the kitchen. Sometimes, it is not even what you apply to your hair. It boils down to what you intake. Beetroot juice may help regulate hair fall and hair damage. Beetroot works wonders for damaged hair, revitalizing it and maintaining the moisture fall that leads to dry, brittle, and frizzy hair. Here are some delicious ways to add beets to your diet:
- Add grated beets to your salad or coleslaw.
- Drink beetroot juice as a dietary supplement.
- Grind the beetroot into a paste and mix it into your Greek yogurt.
- Cook beetroot in the same way you would cook spinach.
You can also use beetroot juice as an external solution that is applied directly to your hair and scalp. Here’s how to apply:
- Boil beetroot leaves then grind along with henna to make a paste. Mix it with ginger juice and a few drops of olive oil.
- Apply it to your scalp and leave it in for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse properly with water.
Beetroot is a vitamin- and the mineral-rich agent providing potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, and electrolytes. Beetroot juice helps fix lackluster hair by adding nutrients, reduces breakage by making it stronger, and nourishes the follicles that lead to healthy hair.
It has long been claimed that coconut oil is a healthy fat source that may also help keep your hair, skin, and nails in good condition. Coconut milk is rich in nutrients like zinc, fat, proteins, and vitamins B12, C, and E which are beneficial to promote hair growth. Follow these steps to use coconut milk:
- Apply one cup of coconut milk to clean, wet hair and massage it to your scalp.
- Wrap your head with a towel and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with shampoo and cold water, then follow with conditioner.
With this simple treatment, coconut oil helps make your hair cuticle stronger so it won’t lead to breakage easily. You might also notice a reduced rate of hair fall, especially related to hair damage. Coconut oil also restores dry hair and the scalp, which is very useful for damaged hair.
Aloe vera is a popular remedy for dry skin and hair because of its hydrating and nourishing properties. Applying aloe vera paste to your scalp means your hair is getting the right treatment it needs to combat hair fall. Research shows aloe vera may have health benefits due to its anti-inflammatory properties, enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. Follow the steps to make an aloe vera mask:
- Extract aloe vera stem into a paste or use aloe vera gel.
- Mix with jojoba oil (optional).
- Massage into your hair and let it sit for about 45 minutes.
- Rinse it with normal water.
Aloe vera comes with an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agent that keeps your scalp cool and helps fight off diseases. It also promotes hair regrowth and maintains the pH balance of your scalp, reduces dandruff, and cleans blocked hair follicles caused by excessive oil. This green plant is suitable for all hair types.
Egg White Mask
Egg, a protein-rich superfood packed with minerals, biotin, sulfur, zinc, and B-group vitamins, is excellent for hair health. The sulfur in the egg is rich in keratin which promotes hair growth and prevents hair fall. Egg white, specifically, is the richest source of proteins. It contains niacin, riboflavin, magnesium, potassium, and sodium, which work together to support hair growth. Here’s how to apply:
- Whisk two white eggs, then mix one tablespoon of each olive oil and honey to form a paste.
- Apply to your hair and scalp and let it stay for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with normal hair. Follow with shampoo and conditioner as usual.
Repeat this treatment at least once a week for the best results. You can also use both yolk and egg white egg together to nourish your hair from roots to ends and the scalp too. You can also get packaged egg white masks available at online stores, such as Amazon.
Reducing hair fall and growing hair can easily be done naturally without having to spend a lot of money. It all starts with a healthy lifestyle, such as creating hair care habits properly, consuming nutritious food and meeting daily vitamin intake, and setting time to engage in physical activities to reduce stress.
Knowing certain natural ingredients can also be a medium for home hair fall remedies, which can be consumed and/ or applied directly to the scalp and hair.
Most importantly, balance internal and external treatments for maximum results.
Aloe vera, egg white, beetroot juice, and more are simple but powerful ingredients. By using them regularly and weekly, you may successfully reduce hair fall rate and promote hair regrowth. Once you start them let us know in the comments section how you are faring at it. If you have any more unique home remedies let us know too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I regrow my hair naturally?
It depends on the condition of your hair follicles. If hair follicles have closed, died, or haven’t produced new hair for years, it’s unlikely that new hair will grow. However, when the hair follicles are still intact and only in a dormant state, hair can still grow back. It requires ingredients that can stimulate or awaken sleeping follicles to re-produce new, healthier hair, including ginger and caffeine
What lack of vitamins causes hair loss?
Deficiencies in riboflavin, biotin, folate, vitamin B12, vitamin D, zinc, and selenium are often associated with hair loss. Thus, consuming food or dietary supplements that contain these vitamins can help reduce and prevent hair fall.
This is amazing!
[…] Known to block DHT process and helps your hair regrowth in the process. Procapil Reduces your hair follicle aging. Linoleic Acid Known to be an agent of Omega-6 (Fatty acid) promoting healthy hair and a healthy scalp too. If you were looking for natural hair therapies like the above, then be sure to check out our Best Home Remedies for Hair Fall and Regrowth. […]