Whether your curls easily tangle or your once-healthy locks feel brittle, you’ll need a fast-working intensive treatment like this one from Briogeo. Our Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask review finds out if this is the right fit to replenish lost moisture and natural shine.
We’ve conducted hours of research to analyze the reliability of Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioner backed up by science and authentic reviews.
Who is it for?
Using rosehip and almond oil to hydrate and diminish frizz, Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask is happiness in a tub. It is also enriched with algae extract and biotin that help strengthen your hair and boost its shine.
However, those with very fine or ultra-thin hair might find it too rich if too much product is used too often. It is best to set the frequency to weekly or biweekly since you don’t want to overdo it. As for curly, coily, and coarse hair, twice weekly might be necessary as such hair is prone to dryness.
Another reason to reach for Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask is if you have bleached, colored, chemically-treated hair that tends to be more dehydrated and damaged. You can use it once or twice (if necessary) a week until your hair returns to its healthy state.
Overall, the frequency of use is a personal preference and depends on how sensitive your scalp is. You may need to build tolerance for the ingredients overtime. Now, let’s take a look at the formula.
To use, depending on your preference and hair condition, Briogeo Deep Conditioning Mask is ideal for weekly or biweekly treatment in place of a conditioner. If your hair has product buildup, it is best to use a detox shampoo like Briogeo Scalp Revival for the mask to show the best results.
- Always wring your hair to remove excess moisture or there will be less room for the product to absorb.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
- If you have extremely dry, damaged, coarse, or coily hair, you can leave the mask on for 30 minutes and wrap it with a shower cap for a deep treatment.
The mask feels like a soft cream conditioner-like, neither too thick nor thin. The texture has a nice slip that is easy to apply and rinse, leaving your hair instantly soft and shiny. It has a lovely floral scent that some might find too fragrant, but it’ll soften once you wash out your hair.
Briogeo Deep Conditioning Mask comes in a white tub that is 100% recyclable. The design may make it easy for water to get inside, but you can easily scrap every last drop rather than a mask in a tube-shaped bottle.
Now, let’s check out how much it costs.
Where Can I Get Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioner?
At $39 for 8 fl oz ($4.88/Ounce), Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask is on the pricey side compared to drugstore products. But given all the oils and proteins included in the formula, it effortlessly helps restore your hair health and delivers more hydrated, glossy hair.
- WHO IT’S FOR: For those with dry, damaged or color treated hair. Hair types: straight, wavy, curly and coily hair.
- WHAT IT IS: A weekly, clinically proven hair mask and deep conditioner that strengthens damaged hair and helps prevent future damage.
- WHAT IT DOES: Clinically proven to decrease hair breakage after two uses. This hair mask is clinically proven to boost hair strength, shine, and silkiness and improve the long-term health of damaged hair.
To save more and get more, you can choose the bigger size as Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask is also available in two other versions:
- $49 for 12 fl oz ($4.08/fl oz) Buy on Amazon
- $124 for 32 fl oz ($3.88/fl oz) Buy on Amazon
If your hair is extremely damaged, we suggest pairing it with Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Rice Water Protein Treatment and Strengthening Treatment Oil to deeply nourish and repair hair damage while also protecting it from further breakage.
- WHO IT’S FOR: Those with dry, damaged or color treated hair. For all hair types.
- WHAT IT IS: An intensive weekly hair treatment that delivers the optimal balance of protein + moisture and is scientifically proven to strengthen hair after 1 use.
- WHAT IT DOES: This dual-action formula protects hair from future damage, while deeply hydrating ingredients work to nourish dry, brittle hair and support healthy elasticity in your strands. Formulated with 98% naturally derived ingredients.
- WHO IT’S FOR: Those with dry, damaged or color treated hair. For all hair types.
- WHAT IT IS: A silicone-free hair oil treatment fortified with repairing ceramides.
- WHAT IT DOES: This treatment hair oil repairs the hair cuticle and bonds split ends.
To help you decide if Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioner is worth the value, let’s check out the ingredients and their benefits for dry, damaged hair.
The Ingredients in the Mask
Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask is made of plant-based ingredients, plus it’s vegan and Leaping Bunny-certified cruelty-free. It features oils and proteins that have tons of natural perks, such as almond oil, aloe vera, hydrolyzed wheat protein, argan oil, and more.
Given below are all ingredients of Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioner.
|Emollient||Cetyl Alcohol, Brassica Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Cetyl Esters, Brassicyl Isoleucinate Esylate, Isopropyl Myristate|
|Soothing||Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract|
|Moisturizer/Humectant||Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Butylene Glycol|
|Anti-microbial||Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Cetrimonium Chloride|
|Hair-conditioning Agent||Biotin, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein|
|Perfuming Agent||Laurus Nobilis Leaf Extract, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Pogostemon Cablin Oil, Elettaria Cardamomum Seed Oil, Ferula Galbaniflua (Galbanum) Resin Oil, Fragrance|
|Skin-identical Ingredient||Palmaria Palmata Extract, Glycerin|
|Viscosity Control||Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride|
|Buffering||Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide|
|Preservative||Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol|
Let’s take a closer look at these hair-nourishing ingredients.
Rosa Canina Fruit (Rosehip) Oil
As the name implies, rosehip oil is extracted from the fruits and seeds of wild rose bush. One study shows that it is rich in unsaturated fatty acids (linoleic, α-linolenic, and oleic acids), antioxidants (tocopherols and carotenoids), and phenolic acids.
Unsaturated fatty acids are usually found in the cuticles to maintain your hair’s strength, shine, and texture. Thus, using fatty acid-containing compounds like rosehip oil may help replenish lost lipids on damaged hair, making it stronger and healthier.
In addition, rosehip oil is also beneficial to protect against oxidative stress which is the primary cause of dry, damaged hair.
Palmaria Palmata Extract
Commonly known as red algae, it is a good source of amino acids and antioxidants, which have many benefits for your hair. That’s why it is beneficial to strengthen damaged and brittle hair thanks to its protein composition.
Not to mention its ability to protect your hair from free radical damage due to the high level of antioxidants in it.
Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil
Similar to rosehip oil and red algae, sweet almond oil is also rich in fatty acids, such as oleic, linoleic, palmitic, palmitoleic, and stearic acids. It can penetrate your hair shaft to help repair the damage from the inside, making your hair stronger and more hydrated.
When applied topically, biotin or vitamin B7 is believed to strengthen hair strands, improve hair volume, and reduce breakage.
Other Nourishing Ingredients
Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil: Rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, biotin, and vitamins, avocado oil works by coating your hair cuticles, which provides moisture and damage protection for your hair.
Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil: Similar to avocado oil, argan oil is abundant in fatty acids and antioxidants which help improve moisture and repair hair damage caused by hair coloring.
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice: Widely known to maintain hair moisture. Aloe vera is also beneficial to soothe scalp conditions and reduce sebum thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract: Also known as pot marigold, calendula is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which may help treat scalp-related issues, such as itching or flakes.
Hydrolyzed Wheat, Soy, and Corn Protein: These are plant-based proteins that can pass through your hair cuticles. It helps moisturize and strengthen your hair while also locking in moisture to prevent water loss.
As you can see, Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask is loaded with proteins and antioxidants. Besides helping strengthen and protect your hair strands, it might also improve scalp conditions due to the presence of anti-inflammatory properties.
Next, let’s take a look at real-life user experiences.
Authentic Reviews of Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask
To back up our Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask, we’ve gathered real-life user reviews after using the product. Below are the results from various users who have different hair types, textures, concerns, lengths, colors, etc.
Results of a woman with brunette, curly hair who also used the Briogeo shampoo and curly hair gel. Her curls feel bouncier and softer without being too heavy.
Results of a woman with color-treated, damaged hair after leaving the mask on her hair for 10 minutes. It helps take out flyaways and frizz, leaving her hair smooth, shiny, and more manageable.
Results of a woman with curly hair who lost her curl patterns due to hair coloring. After leaving the mask for 15 minutes and rinsing, it helps bring back her curls by almost 90% and leaves her hair soft from the first use itself.
Results of a woman with straight hair after only using the Briogeo hair mask once. It helps bring out her natural waves and makes her hair so smooth.
Results of a woman with curly, frizzy, and colored hair after leaving the mask overnight and rinsing it out in the morning. Her hair feels so soft and moisturized since the first use.
Results of a woman with wavy, thick, and dry/damaged hair from years of coloring. She uses this Briogeo Deep Conditioner along with her coconut milk shampoo every 2-3 days. It helps bring back her natural shine and her hair looks more hydrated.
Many users have proven to themselves how Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mash delivers soft, well-moisturized, and improved texture hair since its first use.
Next, let’s check out the disadvantages of the product as we caught some users experiencing side effects.
Possible Side Effects and Disadvantages
We found that some users experienced side effects after using Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioners, such as rash, itching, and redness. It is because they may be allergic to particular ingredients, especially those who have sensitive skin.
- The product contains lots of perfuming agents, so you may notice contact dermatitis if you’re highly sensitive to it. You may want to choose from Prose Custom Hair Mask which can be made fragrance-free when you customize it.
- Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioner is not wheat- and soy-free. It is best to avoid using the product if you’re allergic to it and opt for something like the VIRTUE Restorative Treatment Mask.
- The product contains Cetrimonium Chloride and Behentrimonium Methosulfate, which may cause eye and skin irritation like itching or redness. You may need to do a patch test, especially if you have sensitive skin.
- You may experience itching, redness, swelling, or rash as the product contains Benzyl Alcohol. Stop using the product if allergic reactions develop and use aloe vera to help soothe the effects
Make sure to cross-check the ingredients and allergies you have to prevent unwanted side effects. Next, let’s find out the dupes for Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask.
Alternatives to Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask
Today’s deep conditioning masks come in various formulas, applications, and even packaging, so you can pick the one that best suits your preference and needs. Here we discuss three alternatives to the Briogeo hair mask offered by K18, Amika, and Coco & Eve.
K18 Leave-in Molecular Repair Hair Mask
- An At-home Leave-In Treatment infused with the patented K18Peptide that renews hair to its most youthful, healthy state. Benefits: Works to repair even the most extreme damage caused by bleach and color, chemical services, and heat.
- Creates Like Hair Like New: Traveling into the inner-most layers of hair to reach the core polypeptide chains our revolutionary K18Peptide is just the right size and makeup to reconnect broken chains responsible for hair strength and elasticity.
- Renews All Hair Types: K18 doesn’t just hide damage or patch it up leaving hair brittle, it transforms even the most extreme damage into hair that looks and feels like new. K18 works on all hair types, all generations, all types of expression.
If you don’t want to stand for 10 minutes doing nothing in the shower, the K18 Leave-in Mask is all you need. This 4-minute treatment is formulated with K18PEPTIDES™ and pH-optimize technology that repairs damage by reconnecting polypeptide chains and disulfide bonds broken during bleaching, coloring, or heat styling.
You can get it for $29 (0.5 fl oz) on Amazon, which is very pricey rather than Briogeo. But if you want to level up your routine, this can be the right fit for you.
Amika Soulfood Nourishing Hair Mask
- like a cool drink of water for your hair, this mask quenches hair's thirst. the rich, moisturizing formula provides superior hydration leaving hair manageable, soft, and shiny for days.
- perfect for all hair types, especially those in need of deep hydration.
- packed with vitamins and nutrients to condition the hair making it soft, silky, and smoother than ever.
Made in Israel, Amika offers a hair mask that can be used as an everyday conditioner for high-porosity hair. It is packed with jojoba seed oil and sea buckthorn which are rich in fatty acids that can help repair damage and promote hydrated hair. Plus, it is gluten- and keratin-free.
The price is only $7 less inexpensive than Briogeo, which is $32 for 8 fl oz. It is also much more affordable than the K18 Leave-in Mask.
Coco & Eve Like a Virgin Hair Masque
- BEST SELLING, SOCIAL MEDIA SENSATION. It’s the hair mask that everyone is talking about… Winner of 13 beauty awards, Coco & Eve Hair Masque is a 5-in-1 miracle worker…it hydrates, conditions, improves hair texture and shine, treats split ends and tames frizz in just 10 minutes. Transform your tired, dry, damaged hair into shiny, glossy and smooth hair in one wash.
- BYE, BYE BAD HAIR. Say hello to sleek and silky hair. We don’t just make the hair look, feel and smell better….we dramatically improve the HEALTH of it too, repairing hair damaged from styling, heat, bleached, and too much colouring. See and feel the difference just after ONE wash. Our leave in Coco & Eve hairmask is suitable for ALL HAIR types.
- REAL HAIR TRANSFORMATIONS. This is why our customers are obsessing over Coco Eve… “INCREDIBLE” “Simply Amazing Stuff” “Best hair mask ever!” “…works miracles” “Believe the hype” “MAGIC” “Love love!!” “100% worth it” “Hair miracle….seriously!” “BEST EVER” “Holy Grail of Hair Care Masks” “Worth the hype!” “…tub of heaven” “Brilliant product!” “A must have!” “OMGeeeeee” “Repairs hair immediately” “Incredible product!” “Best in the Whole Wide World” “This works. Don’t waste money on cheap products…"
When it comes to textured, coarse hair, the coconut extract and shea butter won’t let you down for moisturizing and repairing treatment. This multitasking mask is also enriched with fig extract to protect against free radicals and argan oil that improves your hair’s texture.
It costs around $39 for 7.2 fl oz, which is a bit pricier than Briogeo.
Check out our Coco & Eve Like A Virgin review to learn more about their shampoo and conditioner. To check out the full review of the Don’t Despair, Repair line, click here.
The Verdict: Effortlessly Transform Damaged Locks with Regular Use
As one of the best Briogeo hair care products, this Allure Reader’s Choice Award winner is a cult-favorite weekly treatment mask that revives your damaged strands with every use. However, if you have sensitive skin, it is best to do a patch test as several users reported mild allergic reactions.
Hope this review was useful and helped you decide if this is the right fit for you. Leave us with questions or thoughts in the comment section.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you use a Don’t Despair Repair Mask?
Apply the mask to clean, damp hair and let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. If you have coarse or extremely dry, damaged hair, you can leave it on for up to 30 minutes and wrap your hair with a plastic cap.
Can I use Don’t Despair Repair on dry hair?
Actually, you can use the mask on dry hair as long as your hair is clean and has no leftover product buildup. However, we suggest using the product after shampooing. If you use a clarifying shampoo beforehand that will be great.
How often should you use a Briogeo mask?
Depending on your preference or hair condition, the Briogeo Hair Mask can be used as a weekly or bi-weekly treatment. However, you can use it twice a week if you have curly, coily, or coarse hair that needs extra hydration.
Karmelia is a writer at Reactive hair with a background in International Relations. She is usually glued to her laptop exploring the skincare & haircare world. She loves writing quality content that help people get a better understanding of the safety of the products they are using for better hair health.
Driven by her enthusiasm, Karmelia strives to empower ordinary individuals in making informed choices about their haircare routines. Recognizing the overwhelming number of products available in the market, she understands the importance of reliable guidance to navigate through the options. Through her articles, she aims to bridge the gap between scientific knowledge and everyday haircare, ensuring that her readers can easily grasp the benefits and suitability of various products.