This post was most recently updated on March 23rd, 2023
At some point, you may notice your hair starts to get relatively thinner. If your once-full hair looks a little sparse lately, you may be wondering what’s behind this abnormal shedding and the best way to fix it. Keranique offers dozens of their go-to products that can stimulate hair growth and regrowth. In this Keranique review, we at Reactive Hair helps you determine if it is the best answer to cater to your hair loss and thinning hair.
We cover Keranique’s hair care products that are specifically designed to speed up hair growth, bringing back your once-thick hair. This Keranique review will take an in-depth look at the brand and its hair growth system line, the science behind the key ingredients, and real-life user experiences as well as alternatives to Keranique.
Overview of Keranique
Since it was first marketed through the Direct Response channels in 2009, Keranique has become a popular solution for millions of US women who experience hair loss and stunted hair growth. The complete Keranique collection is clinically proven to effectively address the underlying causes of women’s thinning and hair loss while also being the answer for healthier hair growth and regrowth.
Keranique’s selection of products contains FDA-approved and non-prescription ingredients to revitalize women’s hair from the inside out. Keranique even provides a 120-Day Money Back Guarantee for those who are not satisfied with the results. You can find the full Keranique portfolio on Amazon along with their best deals.
In the next section of this Keranique review, let’s take a closer look at the type of hair loss Keranique can solve.
What Type of Alopecia Can Keranique Treat?
“Keranique, the Women’s Hair Growth Experts”
From this catchphrase, it is very clear that Keranique is specially designed for women who wish to achieve hair regrowth. Keranique targets women who experience hair loss due to several causes and not all types of alopecia can be cured with Keranique.
Meaning you need to know in advance what causes your hair loss before taking Keranique. Here are women’s hair loss problems that Keranique can solve:
- Androgenic Alopecia: The most common and the only FDA-approved form of alopecia that minoxidil (Keranique’s key ingredient) can treat. It is otherwise known as male- or female-pattern baldness that occurs due to increasing levels of DHT on your scalp.
- Alopecia Areata: An autoimmune disease that attacks the hair follicles causing round or oval bald spots in both women and men.
- Chemotherapy-induced Alopecia: Drastic hair loss, even in clumps, occurs as a side effect of cancer treatment/chemotherapy. It is also known as Anagen Alopecia, much like Telogen Alopecia except that it occurs more quickly after the triggering event and the shedding is more severe.
- Chronic Telogen Effluvium: A form of alopecia that occurs as a side effect of certain stressful events, be it a car accident, surgery, or major illness. CTE may last about 6 months and hair may be expected to return to its normal state after a year.
Now let’s take a closer look at the Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment products.
Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment System
Check below the key products of Keranique to cater to your hair loss and encourage your hair regrowth.
- Scalp Stimulating Shampoo for Thinning Hair
- Volumizing Keratin Conditioner for Thinning Hair
- Hair Regrowth Treatment FDA Approved
- Lift & Repair Treatment Spray to Protect, Repair, and Style
- Follicle Boosting Serum
- Keraviatin Hair & Scalp Health Supplement
- Intensive Overnight Hair Repair Serum
- Micro-Exfoliating Follicle Revitalizing Mask
It is common knowledge that to achieve the fastest and best results is by using the products in tandem. As the purchases can be expensive, you can try Keranique Hair Regrowth System Kit which provides a 4-step product system that you can get on Amazon. Now let’s take a closer look at eight of Keranique’s primary products to stop hair loss and promote new hair growth.
Keranique Scalp Stimulating Shampoo for Thinning Hair
For: Women with all hair types looking for solutions to their thinning hair and/ or hair breakage.
Purposes: A sulfate-free shampoo that deeply cleanses and removes built-up in your hair follicles, stimulating them to improve microcirculation to your scalp. It helps reduce excessive oil in your hair, improving your hair volume, shine, and smoothness.
How to Use: Apply to wet hair and scalp. Massage and leave the product for 3-4 minutes for better formula absorption. Rinse thoroughly and follow with Keranique Volumizing Keratin Conditioner.
Prominent Ingredients: Keratin (key ingredient), Panthenol (key ingredient), Ginseng Root Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Biotin, and Niacinamide.
- Keratin can strengthen your hair by filling the gaps throughout your hair shaft as well as reduce tangle, fight frizz, and prevent hair damage.
- Panthenol is a humectant drawing moisture from the environment and scalp to where it is needed most. It is scientifically linked to the repair of thinning hair.
- Ginseng Root Extract helps increase blood circulation to your follicles, providing a healthy scalp for hair to grow.
- Peppermint Oil is a hair loss remedy, especially for androgenic alopecia, to improve hair growth and reduce hair loss.
- Hydrolyzed Soy Protein helps strengthen and nourish damaged hair, seals moisture, and improves hair texture and manageability.
- Biotin can promote hair growth and improve overall hair health.
- Niacinamide reduces scalp inflammation and improves the health of hair follicles, leading to encouraging hair growth.
What Customers Loved: “…It does give me some volume and “tingles” at the scalp but has no scent. I did notice less hair in brushes, and finally after 3 weeks, no hair in my brushes or combs at all…“
What Customers Did Not Like: “…the shampoo bottle is so hard to squeeze it hurts my hands…“
Keranique Volumizing Keratin Conditioner for Thinning Hair
For: Women with thin/ fine, oily, dry, curly, and normal hair who want to improve hair volume and thickness.
Purposes: A cream-gel-based conditioner that improves hair volume and softness without weighing your hair down. It helps detangle and moisturize your hair for more manageable hair.
How to Use: Apply to damp hair from scalp to ends and let it sit for 3-4 minutes before rinsing. Follow with either Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment or Follicle Boosting Serum on towel-dried hair.
Prominent Ingredients: A proprietary Keratin Amino Complex (key ingredient), Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Panthenol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Biotin, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Niacinamide, Arginine, and Arctium Majus Root Extract.
- Arginine is a semi-essential amino acid that works by improving blood flow to your scalp, leading to hair follicles stimulation for hair growth.
- Arctium Majus (Burdock) Root Extract potentially helps promote hair growth by prolonging the anagen phase, combats dandruff, and improves hair shine.
What Customers Loved: “I had bought the whole treatment kit and ran out of the conditioner. I have very fly-away hair and sometimes it is very dry. This conditioner is great. My hair feels soft and less flyaway.”
What Customers Did Not Like: “…Smells wonderful and makes the hair a little more manageable than a cheap store-bought conditioner. It wasn’t enough for my very curly/coarse hair. I still left the shower with wicked tangles. Maybe better for someone with wavy hair.“
Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment FDA Approved
For: Women with all types of hair who experience hair loss looking for a serious solution to stop hair loss and regrow healthy hair.
Purposes: It contains the only FDA-approved and clinically proven ingredients that are designed for women’s unique body chemistry to reduce and even stop hair loss as well as regrow hair. Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment works by triggering or reactivating the hair follicles that are in the dormant phase to rejuvenate your hair for regrowing hair with sustainable usage.
How to Use: Apply 6 sprays directly to areas of hair loss and/or thinning hair 2 times daily. Massage gently. Heavy or frequent use will not improve results and continued use is required. Always wash your hands after application.
Key Ingredient: Minoxidil 2% — People with alopecia have been using Minoxidil since 1986 to cure hair loss and speed up hair regrowth. It acts as a vasodilator, meaning Minoxidil can dilate blood vessels for easier blood circulation in the areas applied with it. Eventually, blood that carries oxygen and nutrients will nourish hair follicles to start “manufacturing” new hair growth.
Read the “How Does Keranique Work” section for further details.
What Customers Loved: “I lost my hair during chemo. The hair I “had” didn’t regrow and is very thin on top of my head. Keranique states that it takes up to four months to see new hair. I have been using it since February and I have a lot of new hair identified by my hairdresser (April)…“
What Customers Did Not Like: “Unfortunately I haven’t seen a change. No new growth.“
Keranique Lift & Repair Treatment Spray to Protect, Repair, and Style
For: Women with all hair types with thinning hair looking for heat protection before using heat styling tools while also repairing breakage and wanting to achieve shiner and fuller-looking hair.
Purposes: It helps add instant volume, shine, bounce, and fullness to your hair while also protecting and repairing each strand from damage due to heat styling, reducing frizz, and sealing split ends. It is clinically proven to repair 96% of split ends. Suitable for people who live in high-humidity areas.
How to Use: Apply Keranique Lift & Repair Treatment to towel-dried hair from roots to ends and style your hair as usual. To achieve fuller-looking hair, blow dry your hair by turning your head upside down and using your fingers to open sections. Keep blow-drying and spraying your hair for better lift and expansion until fully dry.
Key Ingredient: A proprietary Keratin Amino Complex™ — Keranique’s exclusive blend that deeply penetrates the hair fiber and binds to the surface to strengthen and protect hair from damage.
What Customers Loved: “…The spray is a fine mist and smells minty. I have fine hair so the product doesn’t weigh down my hair after several hours. I get volume all day. I used it both with wet hair and dry and blow drying. Works great with all three styling conditions.”
What Customers Did Not Like: “Must be very careful using this; makes hair sticky… A little too sticky.”
Keranique Follicle Boosting Serum
For: Women with all types of hair and thinning hair looking for scalp support that strengthens hair follicles.
Purposes: It helps boost scalp and hair follicles for thicker hair growth and reduces excessive oil and DHT that cause abnormal shedding. Keranique Follicle Boosting Serum is infused with Keratin Amino Complex™ to strengthen and create a healthy scalp environment for overall hair health and hair growth.
How to Use: Massage the serum into the scalp with fingertips in towel-dried hair daily for a voluminous appearance. Follow with Keranique Lift & Repair Treatment Spray during styling.
Prominent Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Panthenol, Arctium Majus Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, and Polyquaternium-11.
- Butylene Glycol is a conditioning agent that helps improve hair texture by coating the hair cuticles, making it softer and more hydrated.
- Glycerin is helpful to treat damaged hair, though it is suitable for all hair types to combat breakage and reduce dandruff as well as overall scalp health.
- Hydrolyzed Rice Protein is beneficial to significantly add volume to your hair, repair breakage, and improve hair shine and moisture.
What Customers Loved: “This works – be sure to spray it on your scalp *after* you’ve washed and dried your hair… I used it 2 to 3 times per week at the most for about 2 months. It worked 100%. Do not spray it heavily just directly on the scalp. It will not affect your hair if it’s colored either.”
What Customers Did Not Like: “I love the product but the bottle is tiny for the price…“
Keraviatin Hair & Scalp Health Supplement
For: Women with all hair types and thinning hair looking for dietary supplements to support hair strength and scalp healthy for hair to grow longer and stronger.
Purposes: A premium blend of multivitamins, minerals, and nutrients to rejuvenate your hair follicles, leading to speeding up hair growth. Keratin Amino Complex™ helps promote scalp and overall hair health. It is drug-free and non-GMO.
How to Use: Consume two soft gels once daily with a meal for at least three months.
Prominent Ingredients: Vitamin B1, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Zinc, Selenium, L-Taurine, L-Cysteine, Bamboo Shoot/Stem Extract, Curcumin C3 Complex®, Saw Palmetto Extract, Omega Max®, and Bioperine®.
- B-group Vitamins: Stimulate hair growth by encouraging blood circulation to your scalp that carries oxygen and nutrients to support healthy follicles. This will help increase hair growth and maintain it consistently as well as combat hair loss.
- Pantothenic Acid: A water-soluble vitamin that contributes to nourishing hair follicles, promoting hair growth from within, and repairing breakage.
- Curcumin: Contains properties to inhibit the 5-AR enzyme, which leads to reduced DHT production and stops hair loss.
- Saw Palmetto: Acts as a DHT blocker and combat hair loss as well as increase hair growth.
What Customers Loved: “I’ve been on these for about 4 months now. I went on them as I was concerned that my hair was falling more than normal. After the first month, I noticed a difference. Also, my hair does seem stronger…”
What Customers Did Not Like: “My only issue is that the last two shipments I received have had all the capsules stuck together in the bottle…”
Keranique Intensive Overnight Hair Repair Serum
For: Women with all hair types looking for overnight leave-in treatment (serum) for their thinning hair.
Purposes: Nourishes hair follicles to maintain a proper and healthy hair growth cycle, which leads to speeding up hair to grow. The benefits of this serum are backed up by ingredients based on stem cell and telomere science technology to accelerate the growth of longer and stronger hair.
How to Use: Apply 1 mL of serum with a dropper to the thinning area and leave it overnight. Style your hair, as usual, the next morning.
Key Ingredients: Redensyl, Copper Peptides, and Vita Source.
- Redensyl: Hair growth activating molecule resulting from a patented synthesis process. It works by activating the ORSc stem, stimulates HFDPc dermal papilla fibroblasts, and reduces inflammation in the scalp, leading to the production of new hair by balancing the hair growth cycle.
- Copper Peptides: Helps increase blood flow to the scalp which carries oxygen and essential nutrients and supplies them to the hair follicles to stimulate healthier hair growth.
- Vita Source: It is a new hair care ingredient that acts as an anti-aging agent that can protect your hair from your roots to your ends.
What Customers Loved: “I have been using Keranique for just a month. I had bald spots in the front of my hair. The bald spots are gone. My hair overall is growing extremely well.”
What Customers Did Not Like: “…This product makes you have flakes of something that looks like dandruff. Other than that I believe it’s helping the look of my very thin hair…“
Keranique Micro-Exfoliating Follicle Revitalizing Mask
For: Women with all hair types, especially damaged and dry hair looking for a detoxification treatment to restore their hair vitality.
Purposes: It is a pre-shampoo treatment that deeply cleanses product build-up, unclogs pores, and removes dead skin cells on your scalp. Eventually, it improves your hair texture and shines as well as manageability.
How to Use: 1) For deep treatment before shampooing, apply the product to damp hair on the scalp. Cover with a shower cap and let sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. 2) For exfoliating scalp treatment, after shampooing apply to your scalp and massage for 2-3 minutes then rinse with cold water.
Key Ingredients: Keratin Amino Complex™, Procapil, FolliSync Biofunctional, Apricot Seed Powder and Polylactic Acid exfoliating beads-Physical exfoliator, and Menthol.
- Procapil is a combination of Matrikine with Apigenin and Oleanolic Acid that is clinically proven to reduce DHT levels on your scalp, leading to combat and preventing hair loss.
- FolliSync Biofunctional is extracted from Faba seeds that work by targeting protein expression in the dermal papilla to encourage natural hair growth and improve hair strength.
- Menthol works as a vasodilator that stimulates blood circulation to your scalp and wakes up the hair cuticles to produce new hair.
What Customers Loved: “…The exfoliating “little grits” are coarse enough to scrub away build-up but are not scratchy or too rough. My hair is very fine, platinum blonde and it does not weigh down my hair at all! My hair feels so soft, moisturized, and has volume all at the same time…”
What Customers Did Not Like: “Good product. However, it does not rinse well out of African-American hair.”
How Does Keranique Work?
Keranique works to combat hair loss and promote hair growth in 3 simple key steps below:
Step 1: Cleanse and Condition
Hair loss treatment doesn’t just rely on topical solutions or dietary supplements, but it starts in the shower when you wash and condition your hair.
The shampoo and conditioner also contain Peppermint Oil which apart from giving a fresh menthol scent, is also effective for increasing hair growth by extending the anagen phase. A clinical study has even shown peppermint oil to be as effective as minoxidil in stopping hair loss and improving new hair growth, but this was done in laboratory animals so extensive testing may be required to substantiate the claims.
Step 2: Treat Your Hair
Now we get into the most serious treatment. This step relies on the Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment which contains Minoxidil, the only FDA-approved ingredient, as the ultimate weapon to combat women’s hair loss. However, it is not a unique component for Keranique, considering that the same ingredient can also be found in other brands, such as Rogaine.
Step 3: Protect and Style
Women with thinning hair usually cannot get bouncy- and shiny-looking hair. But Keranique Lift & Repair Treatment Spray, true to its name, helps add body, volume, and shine to your flat, dull hair. The patented ingredient, Keratin Amino Complex™, contained in this product enhances the strength of your hair and creates a healthy scalp environment for hair growth.
Apart from these 4 main products, Keranique also provides other hair growth products as optional steps that you can take. For example, while caring for your hair from the outside, you may need to enhance your hair care ritual by taking Keraviatin Hair & Scalp Health Supplement to nourish your hair from within by fulfilling your daily intake of vitamins.
Keranique Review: Before and After Pictures
Keranique gets a lot of praise from users since its products effectively work against hair loss and accelerate hair regrowth for many. Even several users see visible results faster than the time claimed by the company. Below are the before and after pictures from users who use Keranique’s various hair growth and regrowth products.
Results after experiencing Traction Alopecia from wearing weaves for years. After 2 months of use, her hair started re-growing and looked fuller.
A woman with blonde hair took Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment for 3 months. New hair has grown along her wide hairline.
A woman with curly hair had thinning hair in the front. After taking Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment for only 2 months, new hair started re-growing and the scalp is less visible.
Results after experiencing hair loss due to postpartum. In less than a month the scalp is less visible on her temple after taking Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment.
A woman who took Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment for a month started seeing new hair growth in her hairline.
Results after finishing the first bottle of Keraviatin Hair and Scalp Health Supplements. Her hair grew thicker and shinier, especially on her temple.
Results after taking Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment System Kit for at least 6 months. Her hair looks fuller and thicker.
Now we know that Keranique is effective in helping hair growth for many women with various hair types, hair textures, hair colors, hair problems, and causes of hair loss. However, some women do not get satisfactory results after using the products. But, overall, Keranique works great on many women to achieve fuller and healthier hair.
Now let’s see the side effects of the Keranique Hair Growth and Regrowth System.
Side Effects of Keranique Hair Growth and Regrowth Treatment System
No hair care products are perfect. On one hand, they can solve your hair problems, but on the other hand, they may sometimes cause side effects for some people. The following are possible side effects of the Keranique Hair Growth and Regrowth Treatment System that may occur in some people:
- Minoxidil 2% in Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment may cause chest pain, scalp irritation or redness, fast heartbeat, sudden dizziness, unexplained weight gain, and fainting. It is recommended to stop use and consult a doctor promptly if faced with a reaction to Minoxidil.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding and under 18 years of age women should avoid using minoxidil-containing products. If you have heart disease, ask a doctor first before using minoxidil.
- Keranique Scalp Stimulating Shampoo contains methylisothiazolinone which may cause allergic reactions for those who have sensitive skin, including itchy, flaky skin, and blistered skin.
- Many Keranique products contain fragrances (peppermint oil, menthol, and limonene). Even though it is liked by many people, some find it very bothersome, especially those who are sensitive to fragrance.
Exploring the ingredients of related products can help you to find out what side effects that may occur. Now let’s find out alternatives to Keranique in the next section.
Alternatives to Keranique
Today you can find dozens of hair regrowth products easily since hair loss is a common problem for many. When it comes to topical minoxidil solutions, several alternatives offer a catalog of products that help stop hair loss and support hair regrowth. Here we discuss product alternatives from three brands: Rogaine, Hers, and Keeps.
The first FDA-approved topical solution brand launched Rogaine 2% Minoxidil Solution for Men in 1988. Since then Rogaine has been widely recognized as a solution to help hair regrowth in both men and women — as opposed to Keranique which only provides the product, especially for women. Rogaine offers minoxidil in two forms: foam and topical with a concentration of 2% and 5%.
Men can use either Minoxidil 5% Foam or Minoxidil 5% Solution, while women can go with Minoxidil 5% Foam or Minoxidil 2% Solution. Keranique only provides Minoxidil with a 2% concentration, so if you want a higher dose you can go with Rogaine. However, Rogaine’s product catalog is not as extensive as Keranique, where you can find other products besides topical solutions.
Read our Keranique vs Rogaine comparison article here.
Founded in 2017, Hers is a brand that provides personal care products as well as prescription and over-the-counter drugs specifically for women, while for men’s personal care products, the brand is known as Hims. Hers provides hair regrowth products for women with the same ingredient, Minoxidil, only with a wider variety than Rogaine.
When you can only find minoxidil as an external solution with Keranique and Rogaine, Hers provides Oral Minoxidil which can be consumed to help your hair regrow. Just like Rogaine, Hers also offers Minoxidil 2% Topical Solution and 5% Foam including Minoxidil Spray with a concentration of 6%. When Minoxidil 5% isn’t enough for you, go with Hers’ Minoxidil 6% Spray for your hair regrowth solution.
Even though it’s a new brand, Keeps which was founded in 2018 has been recognized by many people, especially men who are looking for a solution for their male pattern baldness. You can find a Keeps product catalog on Amazon that is specifically made for men — while Keranique and Hers are for women.
Apart from Minoxidil, Keeps also relies on finasteride as their main treatment option. They even provide a one-year free consultation with a doctor.
Keeps offers two minoxidil products with the same concentration: Minoxidil 5% Foam and 5% Solution to treat hair loss and promote hair regrowth. They have also added several product catalogs that include saw palmetto and biotin in their thickening shampoos. Not to mention, a daily prescription pill featuring finasteride to prevent hair loss and promote regrowth.
The Bottom Line
Keranique can be a solution that works for women who want to stop hair loss and speed up hair regrowth. Many women have personally experienced positive results from using the Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment System within a few months. It doesn’t mean the products work for everyone since we found some user reviews didn’t have the expected results. Don’t worry! Keranique provides a 120-Day Money Back Guarantee that you can claim if you are not satisfied with the results you get.
Hope this Keranique review was helpful and gave you any information for those who want to buy the product or learn more about Keranique. Leave us in the comment section with any questions or thoughts you may have.
Below we discuss potential FAQs you may have about using Keranique.
What are the side effects of using Keranique?
As discussed in the side effects section, minoxidil-sensitive people may encounter chest pain, redness, scalp irritation and dizziness among other issues, meaning you should disuse the product if you face such problems. The product is not be used by pregnant women too.
What happens to your hair when you stop using Keranique?
Unfortunately, Keranique is not a permanent solution to hair loss meaning you may encounter shedding again after 3-4 months of disuse.