Whether you’re naturally blonde or brunette, at some point you may want to commit to trendy rainbow hues. Lime Crime might be an option to get those coveted mermaid locks. Read this Lime Crime Unicorn hair dye review to learn more about their products.
We’re going to take a look at the brand, their best hair dyes, ingredient breakdown, real-life user experiences (with pictures), and more.
Lime Crime Unicorn: Exclusive Delivery of Colorful Cosmetics Since 2008
The cult-favorite colorful cosmetics brand, Lime Crime, was founded by Doe Deere who initially launched the brand as a handmade fashion line that was sold on eBay back in 2004.
Her interest in bright colors made her realize a gap in the cosmetic market: a lack of products available in pastel colors which then led her to start making them in 2008. Since then Lime Crime has offered dozens of beauty products for makeup and hair.
CEO Andrea Blieden continues Lime Crime’s legacy of making the products more accessible than ever by decreasing the prices by 20-50%. Lime Crime also uses eco-friendly packaging like PCR plastic and FSC-certified paper.
As Lime Crime’s best-seller, the Unicorn Hair collection is crafted with high-quality, globally-sourced ingredients for its best performance and strong color payoff. Plus, they’re all 100% vegan and certified by Leaping Bunny and PETA.
Let’s take a closer look at the Unicorn Hair Dye collection in the next section.
The Rainbow-Inspired Lime Crime Unicorn Semi-Permanent Color Collection
When it comes to picking Unicorn Hair Dye, there are two lines to choose from: Bolder hues or muted colors. Both are semi-permanent and won’t chemically break your hair cuticles to trap the pigments in the cortex.
Instead, Unicorn Hair Dye is an ultra-conditioning, DIY-friendly formula that deposits color onto your strands which will gradually wash out over time. The dye has a thick, super vibrant texture that is infused with a sugary citrus vanilla scent.
A little goes a long way, especially if you have straight, fine, and wavy hair. But people with thick, coarse, curly, and coily hair may need a little effort to apply the dye evenly. Additionally, it is ready to use right out of the jar. Just put on the gloves and you’re ready to go.
Next, we take a look at the formula.
Unicorn Hair Full Coverage
- Anime Unicorn Hair Dye: Dyed and gone to Unicorn Heaven! Lime Crime Unicorn Hair is a DIY-friendly, semi-permanent color dye that transforms hair into vibrant colors... all from the comfort of your own home. Anime is a cute candy blue color that will make your fantasy hair color dreams come true, and its sugary citrus vanilla scent will make your transformation even sweeter!
- Why You Need It: Not only does our damage-free, vegan hair dye give you fun, vibrant color, but this formula also contains conditioning ingredients like fatty acids and vitamins that help to moisturize your hair and boost shine.
- Before You Use It: Unicorn Hair deposits super-saturated, vibrant color to pre-lightened platinum to medium blonde hair and adds a tint of color to dark blonde and light brown hair. The life cycle of the color depends on the shade and condition of your hair and how often you wash it. Always do a patch and strand test before coloring your full head because results may vary.
If you dig the bolder shades, Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Full Coverage offers 30 rainbow-inspired hues you can try. They are suitable for light brown to platinum hair, but of course, the distinction in the results will be very subtle.
If you have light blonde or platinum hair, you’ll get the most saturated and vibrant color in the final look. Meanwhile, folks with brunette hair may only get a subtle tint that is visible under light. Unicorn Hair Full Coverage is infused with fatty acids and vitamins to help moisturize your hair and boost shine.
Close to other hair dyes, darker or very dark hair will need to lighten the hair first for full vibrant color. It might sound scary, but Unicorn Hair bleach at-home lightening kits Buy on Amazon can be a great option as it’s infused with aloe vera to provide moisture and minimize damage.
Unicorn Hair Tints
- Bunny Unicorn Hair Tint: Make all your fantasy color dreams come true with Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Tints, a DIY-friendly, damage-free hair color. Bunny will deposit a light wash of pastel baby pink, adding a kick of cool to your hair... all from the comfort of your own home. Hair Tints are not recommended for dark hair.
- Before You Use It: Unicorn Hair Tints deposit pastel, muted, and lighter shades onto hair, and the watercolor effect of Tints leaves a soft wash of color on pre-lightened platinum to pale blonde hair. The life cycle of the color depends on the shade and condition of your hair and how often you wash it. Always do a patch and strand test before coloring your full head because results may vary.
- Why You Need It: Not only do our damage-free, vegan hair tints give you fun pastel color, but this formula also contains conditioning ingredients like fatty acids and vitamins that help to moisturize your hair and boost shine. Plus, the sugary citrus vanilla scent will make your transformation even sweeter!
If you’re dreaming of all things soft, pastels like mint matcha or pink candy just may be your go-to color. Infused with fatty acids + vitamins, Unicorn Hair Tint provides 16 subtle pastel colors that are best suited for naturally light blonde or pre-lightened hair.
If you feel you didn’t get the perfect muted shades, you can mix Unicorn Hair Full Coverage with Unicorn Hair Mixers Buy on Amazon to create your customized pastel shades. In fact, there’s no limit to combining pastel shades to get a brighter hue.
Remember, Unicorn Hair Tint is meant to be used on pale blonde or platinum hair. Whether you like it or not, brunettes will have to bleach prior to using the dyes. Check the color swatch below to see how each shade comes out on different hair color bases.
Next, let’s check out the Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye ingredients.
Unicorn Hair Dye Ingredient Breakdown
Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye is formulated with no animal-derived ingredients, such as beeswax, lanolin, whey, or carmine. It’s free of PPD, ammonia, and peroxide. Below is the full list of Unicorn Hair Dye.
Now let’s find out what they do individually for your hair.
Cetyl Alcohol and Cetearyl Alcohol
Both are fatty alcohols that act as an emollient to stabilize liquid and oil, so the formula applies well to your hair. Cetyl and Cetearyl Alcohol also play a major role to increase hair softness and reduce tangles.
Glycerin acts as a solvent and humectant to help carry the pigments into your hair. Plus, it helps build viscosity due to its ability to attract water. As a humectant, glycerin is also beneficial to hydrating your hair and promoting hair smoothness.
Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride
It is a water-soluble, organic compound derived from the cluster bean plant. This ingredient acts as an anti-static agent to prevent tangles and flyaways. Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride also helps condition and moisturize your hair, delivering a silky-smooth finish.
Hydrolyzed Adansonia Digitata Seed Extract
It is a water-soluble ingredient derived from the baobab tree that grows in southern countries of Africa. Adansonia Digitata Seed is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help moisturize dry hair and strengthen weak hair.
These are the standout ingredients of Unicorn Hair Dye and their benefits for your hair. Now, let’s take a look at the results after using Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye.
Unicorn Hair Full Coverage Reviews
Currently, Unicorn Hair Full Coverage sits at 4.4 out of 5 stars from 11,941+ global ratings. Here’s the rating by feature:
- Easy to use: 4.6 stars
- Scent: 4.5 stars
- Softness: 4.5 stars
- Value for money: 3.8 stars
- Longevity: 3.7 stars
- Flavor: 2.6 stars
Now let’s check the reviews one by one.
Results of a brunette woman with short hair after using Sea Witch
Second Picture – Her hair turned dirty blonde after bleaching. She used the Pony shade at the ends and for highlights and left it for about 30 minutes.
Third Picture – Results of the Sea Witch shade on bleached hair after using a little over half the bottle and leaving it on for 1.5 hours. The color looks so vibrant.
Forth Picture – The color started fading after two weeks (or three washes).
Results of a blonde woman with short, pre-lightened hair after using Bubblegum Pink
Results of a woman with Afro-American, pre-lightened hair after using Neon Peach
Second Picture – Results of Neon Peach on her dirty blonde hair after leaving the dye for 6 hours (overnight). The color came out very bright. The water ran clear so quickly, meaning more color is deposited so less dye to waste down the sink.
Results of a woman blonde woman with short, straight hair after using Anime
Results of a woman with long, silver hair after using Charcoal
Unicorn Hair Tints Reviews
Meanwhile, Unicorn Hair Tint has 3.6 out of 5 stars from 1,775+ global ratings on Amazon. Here’s the rating by feature:
- Scent: 3.9 stars
- Easy to use: 3.8 stars
- Accuracy: 2.3 stars
- Value for money: 2.2 stars
- Longevity: 2.1 stars
Now let’s take a look at the reviews.
Results of a woman with damaged, over-processed hair after using Cloud
Results of a woman with wavy, platinum-dyed hair after using Cloud
Results of a woman with short, pre-lightened hair after using Gargoyle
Results of a woman with wavy, pre-lightened hair after using Bunny
These are the results of Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye on different hair types, hair textures, and time results. Now, let’s take a look at the disadvantages and possible side effects of Unicorn Hair Dye.
Disadvantages and Possible Side Effects
Based on real-life user reviews, there’s only a small number of people who experienced side effects, such as rashes, burning, and hair dryness. In this section, we cover the disadvantages and possible side effects that may occur.
- Some people with blonde hair noticed their hair color turned green after using the Charcoal shade. It is recommended to tone your hair prior to using the Charcoal or Gargoyle shades to remove yellow undertones. You can fix it with simple home remedies, such as ketchup/ tomato sauce, baking soda, or a clarifying shampoo.
- The dye has a super pigmented color and will stain everywhere, such as the floor, sink, and your hands. Make sure to cover the surface with plastic wrap, put on an old cloth, and wear gloves even during rinsing the color.
- If you are allergic to fragrance, you may experience allergic reactions, such as rash or swelling. Kindly perform a patch test to prevent these issues from happening.
- Unicorn Hair Dye contains Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone that may cause skin or scalp irritations, such as itching, redness, and burning. Always wear gloves and if you notice such issues, you can use home remedies like aloe vera or cool compress to soothe and calm the irritations.
- Some people reported the color fades pretty fast, especially the pastel shades. Kindly take proper color treatment like washing less often and using color protection shampoo.
Although Unicorn Hair Dye is free of harsh chemicals, it is advised to always do a patch test 48 hours before application to check if you have allergies. Plus, kindly use the dye on clean, well-conditioned hair to prevent hair dryness, especially if you have brittle and fragile hair.
Next, let’s check out similar semi-permanent hair dyes.
Alternatives to Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye
When it comes to semi-permanent conditioning hair dyes, you’ve always got options. Here we provide 3 alternatives to Lime Crime Unicorn you may want to try.
Manic Panic Classic High Voltage
- Hot Hot Pink Hair Dye Color; A Cool Toned Medium Pink Hair Dye That Glows Vibrantly Under Blacklights When Bleached To The Lightest Level Ten Blonde Hair; For Deeper Pink Hues This Can Also Be Used On Virgin Unbleached Hair
- Mixable Colors And Tones; MANIC PANIC Hair Colors Are Safe To Mix To Create Custom Shades Making The Possibilities Of Shades Endless; Combine Any Formula With The Pastelizer To Create Soft Trendy Pastel Hues; Ready To Use No Developer Required
- Semi Permanent Hair Dye; Formula Gradually Fades In Four To Six Weeks Because It Does Not Penetrate The Cortex Of Your Hair But Simply Rests On Top Of The Hair Shaft
This NYLON Magazine® Beauty-winning semi-permanent dye comes in up to 65 hues, which is more varied than Lime Crime. The formula is vegan-friendly and best suited for those with pre-lightened hair. The color lasts for 4-5 weeks depending on how much you wash your hair.
You can get Manic Panic Classic High Voltage now on Amazon for only $14.99 (4 fl oz). The price is not much different from Lime Crime, but Lime Crime has a more generous size.
Punky Colour Conditioning Hair Color
- Semi Permanent Conditioning Hair Dye: Purple the royal color for nothing! Punky Purple evokes mystery, magic, and intrigue to your look as it transforms and conditions your hair for a soft & silky brand new look with no commitments. Maintain brilliant purple shade even after several washes!
- Non-Damaging & Conditions Hair: No need to add peroxide so this hair color is safe for all hair types. This will nourish strands, prevent breakage and over-drying, leaving hair frizz-free, silky soft, and healthy-looking. Go for fashionable hair color without hair damage!
- Long-Lasting & Vibrant Hair Color: With color-enhancing Keratin Complex for a more lasting intense, vivid color. It fades in up to 35 shampoos, so you can try trendy colors and transform your style. Mix and match to multi-tonal hair, ombre, or holographic hues!
Available in 23 shades, Punky Colour Semi-Permanent is infused with vegan keratin complex to help promote soft, shiny hair and long-lasting color. Punky Color is best suited for blonde hair, darker hair might only show up as a subtle tint. It lasts for 5-40 washes depending upon hair porosity and type.
A pack of Punky Colour Hair Dye costs you only $6.88 for 3.5 fl oz, which is more affordable than Lime Crime and Manic Panic.
Celeb Luxury Color Depositing Shampoo
- Gluten-Free. Sulfate-Free. PPD-Free.
- Not tested on animals
- 100% vegan
If you prefer a color-depositing shampoo, look no further than Celeb Luxury which is available in 12 shades. This vegan semi-permanent color shampoo is best suited with blonde and brown with highlights. It is formulated with Bond Builder to help hydrate and strengthen your hair.
When it comes to pricing, it is much more expensive than Lime Crime. It costs you $35 for 8.25 fl oz.
Bottom Line: Colorful Non-Committal Hair Dyes
The Unicorn Hair Dye collection offers plenty of bright colors both bold and muted shades. The formula is super-pigmented and won’t damage your hair as it’s packed with hair conditioners. However, the color fades pretty fast based on multiple reports. Make sure to well-care the color for long-lasting vibrates.
If you’re ready to make a purchase, click here to grab the hair dyes Buy on Amazon and see the results for yourself. Leave us comments in the comment section.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does Lime Crime Unicorn Hair last?
Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dyes gradually fade lighter depending on how much you wash your hair, your hair porosity, and your hair type. Based on real-life user reviews, the color usually started fading after 3-5 washes.
Is Lime Crime Unicorn Hair damaging?
Lime Crime Unicorn doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals or bleaching agents that can damage your hair. If you have brittle and fragile hair, make sure to take good preparation before dyeing your hair to minimize the damage.
Is Lime Crime Unicorn Hair pet-safe?
Although it’s vegan, Lime Crime Unicorn is not certified pet-safe. It is advised to not apply the dyes on your pet to prevent any adverse effects that may occur. Pets usually lick their fur when anything foreign comes in contact with them.
Karmelia is a writer at Reactive hair with a background in International Relations. She is usually glued to her laptop exploring the skincare & haircare world. She loves writing quality content that help people get a better understanding of the safety of the products they are using for better hair health.
Driven by her enthusiasm, Karmelia strives to empower ordinary individuals in making informed choices about their haircare routines. Recognizing the overwhelming number of products available in the market, she understands the importance of reliable guidance to navigate through the options. Through her articles, she aims to bridge the gap between scientific knowledge and everyday haircare, ensuring that her readers can easily grasp the benefits and suitability of various products.