This post was most recently updated on May 29th, 2023
As bleaching, hair coloring, and frequent heat styling can strip your hair’s moisture and luster, incorporating argan-infused hair care like OGX shampoo into your routine may actually reverse it. Read this Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo review to find out how it works.
We are going to take a deep analysis of the products backed up by science and authentic reviews from various real-life users. If you are unsure if this is the OGX shampoo for you, click here to know about the top 8 OGX shampoos we recommend.
Who is this best for?
Argan oil can generally be used on all hair types, ranging from straight, wavy, curly, and coily hair. Whether you have dry, dull, frizzy, colored, damaged, or weakened hair, the OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo may help restore your hair to its healthy state.
Argan oil is also anti-inflammatory, so people with scalp-related issues (e.g. psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and dandruff) can reap the benefits of Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo.
As far as hair texture is concerned, this shampoo is suitable for medium and thick hair. Fine hair might find it too heavy, especially when using it along with the Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner and the Penetrating Oil. It is best to use less amount to avoid a greasy look.
You can look more into the benefits of OXG Biotin and Collagen Shampoo if you have fine hair.
However, this argan oil shampoo may not be suitable for colored or blonde hair. According to celebrity hairstylist Cory Aaron Scott, blondes should look for clear argan oil shampoo. If it has a yellow hue (like this shampoo), it may make the hair turn yellowish overtime.
The next one is, if you have extremely dry hair, you might find it a bit drying since the surfactant is quite strong. On the other hand, it is not suitable for very greasy hair that needs sulfates to eliminate all impurities and grime properly.
Read more into the benefits of the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo for extremely dry hair.
Next, let’s take a closer look at the formula.
The Feel, Scent, and Matching Products
The Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo is formulated to smoothen & add shine, soften, and strengthen your hair. It has a yellowish, thick texture and lathers up well, cleansing all dirt and sebum without stripping away too much moisture. It has a strong woody scent, so you may need to rinse thoroughly to soften the fragrance.
Given that the shampoo may leave your hair tangled, following with the Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner may loosen the knot. It is very thick and creamy in consistency but washes out easily, leaving your tresses instantly soft, shiny, and well-conditioned at once.
For a full hydrating regimen, pair with Argan Oil of Morocco Penetrating Oil to boost your hair’s strength and moisture. This treatment oil is weightless and soaks in quickly, leaving you with touchable locks. If you have fine, thin, and straight hair, make sure to apply sparingly to avoid a greasy feel.
If you’re interested in trying OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo, let’s check out the price.
How Much Does It Cost?
Currently, the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo costs you around $12.28 for 25.4 fl oz on Amazon, which is extremely affordable. If you prefer a small size, you can opt for the 13 fl oz size for only $6.97. This price point is not breaking the bank to get your hair a great hydrating product.
As for the Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner and Penetrating Oil, the price sits at $12.28 (25.4 oz) and $7.97 (3.3 oz) respectively. If you prefer to buy it as a bundle, you can get the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo and Conditioner for $11.40 (13 oz each).
- HYDRATE, REPAIR, RENEW: The 25.4-fluid ounce bottle of OGX Renewing + Argan Oil of Morocco Hair Conditioner gives damaged, dry and brittle hair a look and feel of silky perfection and radiant shine while leaving it feel detangled
- SOFT, SMOOTH and SILKY: This hydrating conditioner helps renew and soften hair by penetrating strands to lock in moisture. The conditioner also helps improve strength and elasticity while creating soft, touchable tresses.
- HAIR CARE INSPIRED BY NATURE: This powerful, precious blend with cold-pressed Moroccan argan oil helps moisturize and revive strands, giving hair a natural boost. Plus, the citrus-fresh, floral-green and woody scent leaves hair smelling irresistibly good.
- MOROCCAN HAIR SECRET: Repair dry, damaged, brittle tresses with this powerful blend infused with argan oil of Morocco. Hydrate while locking in moisture to give hair the look and feel of silky perfection
- SOFT, SEDUCTIVE, SILKY: Infused with argan oil of Morocco and silk proteins, this blend helps repair even the most dry, damaged strands, drenching them with hydration and helping to strengthen strands
- BEAUTY PURE AND SIMPLE: OGX products are inspired by nature. We don’t try to make hair look “perfect” because we’d rather make hair look fuller, smoother, curlier, or bouncier and smell irresistible.
After conditioning your hair, follow with the Argan Oil of Morocco Penetrating Oil to help seal in moisture and shine, leaving your hair with a silky-smooth feeling to it
- Renew hair with this argan oil of morocco penetrating hair oil treatment Ideal for all hair types, the hair oil helps seal in nutrients and shine to locks, leaving hair strong and silky smooth
- RENEWING HAIR OIL: The 3.3-ounce container of OGX Renewing + Argan Oil of Morocco Penetrating Hair Oil Treatment gives hair a renewed look and feel of silky perfection and radiant shine
- HAIR CARE FOR ALL TYPES and TEXTURES: Ideal for all hair types, textures and moisture levels, this rich hair oil helps to penetrate the hair shaft while renewing and softening locks
Next, let’s take a look at the ingredients of Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo.
What’s in Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo?
The brand claims Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo is formulated without sulfates, parabens, phthalates, plastic microbeads, DMDM hydantoin, and formaldehyde donors. However, the products are not vegan.
Below are the benefits of argan oil for hair and scalps:
- Fatty acids in argan oil can create protective layers on your hair, which then maintain your hair’s moisture, prevent hair breakage, and reduce split ends. It also has been shown to reduce damage caused by hair coloring.
- Argan oil has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which may help treat psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and dandruff caused by yeast-like fungus.
- Since argan oil is full of antioxidants, it is beneficial to protect your hair from free radical damage, leading to hair dryness.
- Argan oil is also loaded with vitamin E which can improve moisture, boost shine, and prevent hair or scalp dryness. Vitamin E also has been shown to improve hair growth. However, there’s no research on argan oil that specifically can reduce hair loss.
In addition, OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo is also formulated with selected ingredients to provide gentle cleansing and moisturizing benefits. Since this shampoo is free of sulfated surfactants, the manufacturer uses other types of surfactants to help remove dirt and impurities.
- Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate: Synthetic surfactant that has great foaming properties and strong cleansing power.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine: Derived from coconut, it is typically safe to be used to remove sebum and impurities.
- Sodium Hydrolyzed Potato Starch Dodecenylsuccinate: Naturally derived from potatoes, it helps cleanse your hair and scalp.
- Laureth-4: Another surfactant ingredient that is derived from plant-based oils to create foaming and eliminate build-up, sebum, and dirt.
Alongside argan oil, this shampoo also contains other hair-moisturizing ingredients. For instance,
- Polyquaternium-22 and 39: Man-made ingredients that help improve hair shine and softness by creating a protective film on your hair.
- Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate: Derived from safflower oil, it helps promote hair softness and reduce tangles.
- PEG-7 Amodimethicone: A man-made, silicone-based polymer that helps reduce frizz, boost hair shine, and improve hair texture.
Next, let’s check out real-life user experiences to back up our review.
Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo Review: What Do Customers Say?
OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo sits at 4.6 out of 5 from 7,486+ global ratings on Amazon with over 6K users giving it positive reviews. Here’s the rating by features:
- Moisturizing: 4.0 / 5 stars
- Scent: 4.0 / 5 stars
- Softness: 4.0 / 5 stars
- Sheerness: 3.8 / 5 stars
To give you diverse points of view about the product, we are going to check out both good and bad reviews.
We found several reviews mentioning that the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo helps tame frizz to some extent, even in those who live in high-humidity areas.
Moreover, not only does this shampoo help moisturize the hair, but some users also use it as a body wash.
Plus, the shampoo also contains moisturizing agents that are good for your skin too.
However, make sure you don’t have any allergies to the ingredients and that the pH level is not too acidic. Fortunately, besides being sulfate-free, the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo is also pH balanced (between 4.0 to 6.5).
Next, someone wrote that this shampoo gives fullness and hydration to her hair without adding weight to it.
Another user added that the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo also helps treat a flaky scalp.
Overall, the Argan Oil of Morocco helps boost hair’s shine, moisture, manageability, and volume without weighing the hair down. Next, let’s check out the negative reviews.
Despite its good performance, some users mentioned that the bottle could be better for easy dispensing.
Someone wrote that the fragrance is too strong and dries her hair out.
Another review we often found is about poor shipping and broken packaging. However, if you experience the same issue, you can return the item for a replacement or refund.
Some users left a note that this shampoo makes their scalps or hair a bit drying. Someone wrote:
While this shampoo works best for many users, some may only notice minimal improvement. Next, let’s take a look at the possible side effects of the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo.
Possible Side Effects and Disadvantages
Even though most of the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo ingredients are safe to be used, some people may experience adverse effects from certain ingredients.
Here we uncovered the possible side effects of this shampoo, how they can happen, and how to overcome them.
- Given the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo still contains strong surfactants, those with dry, extremely dry, curly, and coily hair may notice hair becomes drier. Take the conditioner after washing and the Argan Oil of Morocco Penetrating Oil to boost your hair’s moisture, shine, and strength.
- Although argan oil is safe for most people, it may cause rashes or acne in some people who have tree nut allergies. You can do a small patch test before using the product to make sure you’re clear from allergic reactions.
- Polyquats and silicones may cause serious build-up over time. They can bind more tightly to low-porosity hair, preventing the nourishing ingredients from absorbing the hair shaft. Meanwhile, high-porosity hair may notice a heavier feel to it, leaving the hair matted, tangled, and dull.
- Fragrance is present in the formulation. If you have allergies, you can opt for fragrance-free shampoo like Tree to Tub Moisturizing Argan Oil; Buy on Amazon
- This shampoo is not preservative-free since it contains sodium benzoate to protect the product from harmful bacteria or fungi. You may experience itching, swelling, or redness. Relieve your skin or scalp by applying aloe vera if you notice those issues.
Make sure you know the condition of your hair, scalp, and skin well to prevent unwanted effects from particular ingredients. Next, let’s look at the alternatives.
Alternatives to Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo
If you feel like the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo is not the right fit for you, no worries you’ve got options. We provide three alternatives offered by Herbal Essences, Moroccanoil, and Soapbox.
Herbal Essences Bio:renew Argan Oil Of Morocco
- You will receive (1) 13.5 fl oz Shampoo and (1) 13.5 fl oz Conditioner.
If you have color-treated and blonde hair, you can opt for this clear argan oil shampoo. The shampoo is colorant-free and dermatologist tested, and it’s formulated to help repair and soften your hair thanks to its argan-infused formula.
You can get the Herbal Essences Bio:renew Shampoo and Conditioner on Amazon currently for $17.99 (13.5 fl oz each).
Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo
- A gentle, reparative moisturizing shampoo for damaged hair
- Formulated with antioxidant-rich argan oil and reconstructive keratin
- Sulfate, phosphate, and paraben-free
Similar to Herbal Essences, this shampoo also has a clear texture that is best suited for damaged and weakened hair. It also contains keratin that strengthens your hair and essential oils to preserve your hair’s moisture.
A pack of the Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo costs you around $26 for 8.5 fl oz.
Soapbox Argan Oil Shampoo Bar
- Control & soften your locks with our Moroccan argan oil shampoo bar. Argan oil, highly acclaimed for anti frizz properties and promoting soft-to-the-touch hair.
- Packed with shea butter, coconut oil and vitamin E & fatty acids from argan oil.
- Naturally derived ingredients containing no parbens, SLES or SLS. Color safe, sulfate-free, paraben-free, silicone-free, cruelty-free, and Vegan.
If you want to cut down the carbon footprint of your hair routine, this shampoo bar is a perfect choice. This argan oil shampoo is designed specially to tame frizz and promote soft hair. The Soapbox Argan Oil Shampoo is also infused with coconut oil to add moisture and strength.
On Amazon, a pack of this bar shampoo costs you around $14.99 for 3.1 fl oz.
Bottom Line: Improves Shine, Hydration, and Fullness
The Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo is a good lathering product to boost your hair health without spending a fortune. Whether you’re looking to cater to your dry, dull, or frizz hair, this shampoo won’t let you down. It may dry the hair or, or not, but taking the conditioner as well will rebalance the hair’s moisture.
Hope this review was useful and helped you decide if this is the right fit for you. Click the button to purchase the Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo:
- Hydrate, repair and renew dry hair with this argan oil of Morocco shampoo Free from parabens and sulfated surfactants, this moisturizing shampoo helps leave tresses feeling radiant, silky and smooth
- HYDRATE, REPAIR, RENEW: The 25.4-fluid ounce bottle of OGX Renewing and Argan Oil of Morocco Hair Shampoo gives damaged, dry and brittle hair a look and feel of silky perfection and radiant shine.Cruelty free
- SOFT, SMOOTH and SILKY: This hydrating shampoo helps renew and soften hair by penetrating strands to lock in moisture The shampoo also helps improve strength and elasticity while creating soft, touchable tresses
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo bad for your hair?
This shampoo is good for your hair due to being infused with argan oil which has been shown to provide hydration, strength, and shine to your hair. However, if you have fine hair, you should use this sparingly.
Is Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo good for curly hair?
Yes, many users have proven to themselves how this shampoo improves their hair quality. Not only does it moisturize the hair, but also helps define the curl patterns and reduce frizz.
Karmelia is a writer at Reactive hair with a background in International Relations. She is usually glued to her laptop exploring the skincare & haircare world. She loves writing quality content that help people get a better understanding of the safety of the products they are using for better hair health.
Driven by her enthusiasm, Karmelia strives to empower ordinary individuals in making informed choices about their haircare routines. Recognizing the overwhelming number of products available in the market, she understands the importance of reliable guidance to navigate through the options. Through her articles, she aims to bridge the gap between scientific knowledge and everyday haircare, ensuring that her readers can easily grasp the benefits and suitability of various products.