This post was most recently updated on May 12th, 2023
Taking biotin supplements is a great way to fix thin hair. But, adding a biotin-infused shampoo to your routine can accelerate your goal externally. Thus, our OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo reviews explore how this product with both biotin and collagen can deliver fuller-looking hair.
Get ready for a deep dive about the product, science-backed ingredient breakdown, real-life user experiences, and more. If you are not sure if this is the OGX shampoo for you, click here to know the top 8 shampoos from OGX we recommend.
Who is it for?
Biotin is a staple in topical hair products including OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo due to its strong connection to promoting stronger, fuller, and thicker hair with every wash, which is excellent for flat to medium-volume hair.
But, it’s not suitable for those with gluten sensitivity since the products contain wheat protein.
Further, OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo has silicone, which is not safe for curly and coily hair as it may cause build-up, weigh the hair down, and jeopardize the curls over time.
In general, OGX is not a bad shampoo, but it’s not ideal for curly-haired people. Get yourself a detox shampoo once a week to get rid of the build-up if you really want to try the product and see if it works for you.
As far as hair textures are concerned, OGX Shampoo is suitable for medium and thick hair. We found mixed reviews that OGX added weight to very fine hair. Those who have oily hair/ scalps also noticed hair easily becomes greasy. If your hair is dry and not fine, this shampoo can be your go-to. You can also consider the OGX Argan Oil Shampoo for dry and dull hair for extra shine.
The good news is OGX has plenty of moisturizing agents, which makes it great for dry, brittle, and high-porosity hair. Plus, it’s sulfate-, alcohol-, and paraben-free, another reason you’ll love this shampoo. If you have extremely damaged hair that needs hydration, consider the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo.
Next, let’s check out the formula.
The Feel, Scent, and Packaging
Heavy shampoos tend to leave residues behind, which makes for oily and very fine hair clumpy. The OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo has a translucent, weightless feel with a slightly violet hue. Many found it didn’t lather up very well, but it was easy to rinse out and left your hair looking bouncy and full.
OGX is infused with bergamot, jasmine, and vanilla scent, which leaves a pleasantly sweet fragrance in your hair. It doesn’t last long though, which is nice if you’re not the biggest fan of fragrance in shampoo.
The shampoo comes in a bulky squeezable violet bottle with a golden flip-flop cap. Due to its slightly dome-shaped cap, it’s quite hard to tip it upside down to deposit the shampoo until the last drop.
Next, let’s check out the value.
Where to Buy OGX Thick & Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo?
When it comes to pricing, OGX won’t let you down. This moisturizing shampoo is currently only $6.99 for 13 fl oz at Amazon, which is super affordable. Other biotin-infused shampoos we’ve reviewed cost between $17 and $30, which are different in formulas and sizes. But, if you prefer something inexpensive with a lot of product, then OGX is good.
- Give thin, flat hair a beautiful boost with the hair thickening power of this nutrient-rich volumizing shampoo Infused with vitamin B7, biotin and collagen, it leaves hair looking fuller and healthier
- PLUMP UP THE VOLUME: The 13-fluid ounce bottle of OGX Thick and Full Biotin and Collagen Shampoo gives thin strands a thickening boost, volumizing them into fuller and more abundant-looking locks
- THICKER, FULLER, HEALTHIER: Ideal for flat to medium volume hair, this volumizing shampoo leaves hair feeling thicker and healthy-looking as it cleanses
The shampoo is incomplete without conditioner. You can get Biotin and Collagen Collection (shampoo and conditioner) for only $13.49 on Amazon. It definitely doesn’t cost a fortune to get fuller-looking hair in every wash.
- PLUMP UP THE VOLUME: The 13-fluid ounce bottle of OGX Thick & Full + Biotin & Collagen Shampoo and Conditioner gives thin strands a thickening boost, volumizing them into fuller and more abundant-looking locks
- THICKER, FULLER, HEALTHIER: Ideal for flat to medium volume hair, this volumizing duo leaves hair feeling thicker and healthy-looking as it cleanses
- HAIR CARE INSPIRED BY NATURE: The nutrient-rich, plump-it-up formula contains vitamin B7 biotin, which helps strengthen hair to maintain growth, collagen, a building block for healthy hair, and hydrolyzed wheat proteins
Next, let’s take a look at the ingredients of OGX Thick & Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo.
OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo Ingredients Breakdown
As part of their mission, OGX has a research team that works to make science-backed formulas that deliver salon-quality hair in every use.
The OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo harnesses the power of biotin, hydrolyzed collagen, and hydrolyzed wheat protein to revive your hair quality with regular use. However, OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo is not vegan and cruelty-free. The below picture displays the full ingredients of the shampoo.
To help you better understand the ingredients, check out the table below to see what their functions are in the formulation.
|Solvent||Water, Hexylene Glycol|
|Surfactant||Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Laureth-4|
|Emollient/moisturizer||Hydrolyzed Collagen, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PEG-7 Amodimethicone|
|Colorant||Ext. Violet 2 (CI 60730), Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 5 (CI 19140)|
|Anti-static||Polyquaternium-22, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Polyquaternium-39|
|Emulsifying||Glycol Distearate, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide|
|Viscosity control||Potassium Chloride|
|Buffering||Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide|
|Unclassified||Biotin, Ethyltrimonium Chloride Methacrylate/ Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Copolymer|
In this section, we take a look at the standout ingredients (bold text) and what they do individually.
In addition to these three key ingredients, OGX Biotin Shampoo also contains other moisturizing and anti-static agents. For instance:
Additionally, OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo contains other ingredients that are typically found in most shampoos. They are surfactants, emulsions, preservatives, buffers, fragrances, and more.
However, OGX also contains colorant ingredients, which is why the shampoo has a bit of a purple hue. If you prefer dye-free shampoo, you can opt for Viviscal Gorgeous Densifying Shampoo, HAIRtamin Biotin Shampoo, or Watermans Grow Me Shampoo.
Next, let’s take a look at the overall benefits of OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo backed by real-life user experiences.
OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo Reviews: What Are Customers Saying?
To back up our review, we cover testimonials online to see how OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo works on real-life users who have different hair types, textures, concerns, etc.
We take a look at both good and bad reviews to give you a wide view about the product. But overall, OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo sits at 4.6 out 5 stars from 7,678+ global ratings – which is a very impressive number!
Next, let’s check out the positive reviews first!
We encountered lots of positive reviews that reported the shampoo did deliver fuller and voluminous hair.
Besides delivering more volume, OGX also nourishes and repairs damaged hair.
Additionally, we’ve also found a couple of reviews that mentioned OGX shampoo helps reduce signs of hair loss and encourages hair growth.
Overall, OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo did a great job to promote thicker-looking hair and nourish lifeless hair, making it healthier than before.
Next, let’s check the bad reviews.
Compared to positive reviews, there are only a small number of critical reviews. However, we often found reports that the shampoo doesn’t lather well, so you’ll need to use a large amount to get a better lather.
Some users noticed heavy and greasy hair after using the shampoo, especially if not rinsed thoroughly.
OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo is formulated to hydrate your hair, which means it may not be suitable for oily hair/ scalp. Thus, we suggest taking OGX Extra Strength Refreshing Scalp + Teatree Mint Shampoo to deeply cleanse while also promoting fuller hair.
Next, let’s check out the possible side effects.
OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo Cons & Side Effects
After learning the benefits of OGX shampoo, we discuss any side effects that may occur while using the product. As you can see in the Ingredient Breakdown section, OGX Biotin and Collagen contains several fillers (dyes, silicones, and preservatives) that may be harmful to your hair, scalp, or skin.
Here are the possible side effects of OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo:
- Although it’s sulfate-free, the shampoo contains another strong surfactant (Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate), which may strip your hair moisture too much. If you have extremely dry and curly hair, make sure to use the conditioner afterward.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine (surfactant) in OGX Shampoo may pose allergic reactions to people who are sensitive to it. It also may cause eye irritation, if the shampoo runs into your eyes as you shower.
- OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo is not gluten- and wheat-free. Avoid using the product if you are allergic to wheat.
- The shampoo is not free of silicone. It may leave residues or build-ups on your hair over time, leaving your hair looking limp and greasy. Since Amodimethicone is not water-soluble, wash your hair with a detox shampoo once a week to get rid of the build-ups.
- Synthetic colors are present in OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo. They’re usually produced from coal tar or petroleum. Unfortunately, these may do more harm than good for you, such as allergic reactions. If you’re looking for dye-free shampoo, check out Viviscal Shampoo or HAIRtamin Biotin Shampoo.
- The shampoo contains sodium benzoate that helps prevent the growth of mold, fungi, and bacteria in the formula. However, one study showed that it may cause itching and swelling in some people with a preservative sensitivity.
Next, let’s find out the alternatives to OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo.
Alternatives to OGX Thick + Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo
As biotin has become a well-known ingredient, finding biotin shampoo should be very easy. Here we provide three similar products to OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo. They are offered by Briogeo, Maple Holistics, and Renpure.
Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo
- ENHANCE THE LOOK OF HAIR FULLNESS AND THICKNESS: Briogeo’s Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo contains natural ingredients that provide immediate fullness and long-term overall hair health to those with thin, limp or fine hair. This unique shampoo is infused with follicle stimulating ingredients that support hair from root to tip and promote fullness. The sulfate-free formula cleanses without stripping, drying, or dulling hair.
- PACKED WITH POTENT NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our volumizing shampoo contains ginger and ginseng to support natural blood flow to the scalp to stimulate follicle health while lemon and witch hazel extracts act as clarifying agents that absorb excess oil and extend time between blowouts. Biotin supports the hair shaft and hair follicle and maltodextrin, a natural sugar starch, visibly thickens and separates each strand to enhance volume and fullness.
- ADDITIVE AND CRUELTY-FREE: Briogeo is proud to say that Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo is 98% naturally derived. Specially formulated, this volumizing shampoo for thin, fine hair does not include sulfates, silicones, phthalates, parabens, DEA, or artificial dyes. It is certified gluten-free and cruelty-free so you can feel good about looking good! To achieve ultimate volume and fullness, use with our Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Conditioner.
If you want to level up your regular shampoo, Briogeo Ginseng + Biotin can be a perfect choice. This shampoo is formulated with ginseng, biotin, and witch hazel to support healthy hair follicles and promote fullness from root to tip. It also uses maltodextrin which is beneficial to boost your hair volume.
The product is vegan and cruelty-free, plus it also doesn’t contain sulfates, parabens, and silicones. A pack of Briogeo Ginseng + Biotin Shampoo currently costs you around $28 for 8 fl oz, which is very expensive compared to OGX.
Maple Holistics Rosemary and Biotin Shampoo for Thinning Hair
- Hair regrowth tip - one of the best ways to avoid hair loss is to ditch that artificial hair growth shampoo with damaging sulfates and choose a shampoo with gentler more natural ingredients
- Volumizing Shampoo - Try our biotin with coconut oil shampoo formula designed with you in mind to enhance the way your hair looks by moisturizing your locks for hair that looks fuller and hydrated
- Shampoo for Dry Scalp Care - Our biotin with keratin and zinc shampoo features essential oils to help improve your scalp appearance with great smelling hair that’s nourished root to tip
This biotin-infused shampoo is enriched with botanical oils, such as jojoba, argan, and rosemary to help preserve your natural oil while washing as well as promote volumizing hair. It is also formulated with keratin to provide strength and protection to your hair.
Not only is it free of sulfates and parabens, but it is also formulated without alcohol, synthetic dyes, synthetic fragrances, silicones, and any harsh chemicals. You can get Maple Holistic Biotin Shampoo for around $11.95 (8 fl oz) currently.
Renpure Biotin & Collagen Thickening Shampoo
- Renpure Biotin and Collagen Shampoo: B-Complex vitamins, amino acids and proteins, oh my! Biotin and Collagen work together to increase strength and thickness for beautiful shine and body
- Hair Care that Cares: From non-sulfate shampoos and conditioners that nourish and thicken hair, to styling products and treatments that restore with plant-based ingredients, Renpure is specially formulated to deliver the best care for your hair
- Renpure is Made For You: We use gentle, plant-based cleansers with carefully chosen ingredients to create nourishing, safe formulas for all our hair and body care products
This one has a pretty similar formula to OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo. Besides biotin and collagen, it contains hydrolyzed pea protein and coconut oil that helps deliver fuller and thicker hair in every wash. The shampoo is also formulated with pH balance to ensure the prevention of moisture loss.
Renpure Biotin Shampoo is also certified cruelty-free, plus it’s free of sulfates, parabens, dyes, gluten, and phthalates. When it comes to pricing, the shampoo currently sits at $19.99 for 32 fl oz.
Bottom Line: A Simple Solution for Thin, Flat Hair
The OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo is an easy fix that helps promote fuller and healthier-looking hair. Especially as it costs you less than $10 for a generous amount of product. Plus, it is also free of harsh chemicals which is great at this price point. However, it may add some weight for those who have oily or very fine hair.
Hope this review was useful and helped you gain clarity about OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo. If you want to reap benefits from it based on real-life user reviews, click the button: Buy on Amazon
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Biotin and Collagen Shampoo really work?
Based on real-life user reviews we reviewed online, OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo does promote fuller, stronger, and healthier hair in many users with various hair types and concerns. However, it may weigh down very fine hair.
Does Biotin & Collagen Shampoo help with hair growth?
We found anecdotal reports that the shampoo supports hair growth and reduces signs of excessive shedding after several months of use.
Can I use OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo every day?
We recommend using OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo every other day or once in three days. Excessive shampoo may actually strip your natural oils, leading to hair dryness and brittle over time.
Is OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo good for oily hair?
Basically, OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo is formulated for hydration. This is why it may not be quite suitable for oily hair, as it makes your hair greasy. You can opt for OGX Extra Strength Refreshing Scalp + Teatree Mint Shampoo which can deeply cleanse your hair and promote thicker hair.
Karmelia is a writer at Reactive hair with a background in International Relations. She is usually glued to her laptop exploring the skincare & haircare world. She loves writing quality content that help people get a better understanding of the safety of the products they are using for better hair health.
Driven by her enthusiasm, Karmelia strives to empower ordinary individuals in making informed choices about their haircare routines. Recognizing the overwhelming number of products available in the market, she understands the importance of reliable guidance to navigate through the options. Through her articles, she aims to bridge the gap between scientific knowledge and everyday haircare, ensuring that her readers can easily grasp the benefits and suitability of various products.