This post was most recently updated on May 12th, 2023
For dry hair, finding the best hair serum can provide rich moisture for immediate rehydration. But, you should not underestimate the power of a daily care shampoo, especially when it’s infused with coconut milk. Thus, our OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo review explores the reliability of the shampoo which is enriched with coconut milk and oil.
We discuss the benefits of OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo for your hair by taking a look at the ingredients and real-life user experiences.
Is the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo for You?
When it comes to hair treatment, coconut milk can help restore moisture and strength that has been lost due to heat styling, bleaching, and sun exposure.
Suppose you have dry, damaged, and weakened hair, using the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo may help add hydration, softness, and luster to your hair. But what are the other options from OGX?
- If your hair is extremely damaged, frizzy, or coarse, we suggest using the Extra Strength Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo for a better experience. Buy on Amazon
- If you have thick curly/coily hair that is dry and damaged, you can opt for Quenching Coconut Shampoo for Curly Hair.
- For curly hair that is frizzy and fine to medium in texture, pick the Lightweight Coconut Fine Curls Shampoo to prevent your hair from feeling heavy. However, this shampoo is formulated more for curl definition and frizz reduction.
Additionally, it’s worth noting that the product doesn’t mention whether or not it’s color-safe. However, since it’s sulfate-free and many real-life users reported it didn’t strip their hair color.
For more options, if you are unsure, we cover the top 8 recommended OGX shampoos based on hair needs. For dull and dry hair in need of shine, their Argan Oil Shampoo is highly recommended while people with thin hair can benefit from their OGX Biotin and Collagen Shampoo.
Next, let’s find out the formula of OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo.
The Feel, Scent, and Claims of OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo
Considering it’s made from coconut milk, this shampoo is creamy and slightly thick in texture. It lathers up well on wet hair without stripping your hair’s natural oils or leaving residues behind. The shampoo has a luscious, sweet coconut scent and doesn’t linger on your hair after washing.
After washing, the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo leaves your hair super hydrated and soft thanks to the coconut milk and oil. Besides hydrating, the shampoo also helps strengthen your hair since it’s made, in part with egg white proteins that reduce the formation of split ends and breakage.
Additionally, the brand also offers other coconut-infused shampoos with various benefits. Let’s take a look at them.
Similar OGX Shampoos with Coconut Milk or Oil
Check out the below table to find out the differences between Coconut Miracle Oil, Quenching Coconut, and Coconut Fine Curls Shampoos.
|Extra Strength Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo||Quenching Coconut Shampoo for Curly Hair||Lightweight Coconut Fine Curls Shampoo|
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
|Best for||All hair types that are extremely damaged, frizzy, or coarse||Thick curly/ coily hair that is dry and damaged||Curly hair that is frizzy and fine to medium|
|Consistency||Silky and milky||Clear, gel-like||Clear and a bit runny|
|Scent||Coconut Milk, Warm Vanilla, and Tangerine||Coconut, Tangerine, and Warm Vanilla||Coconut, Jasmine, and Peach|
|Benefits||Repairs and revives damaged hair, leaving it hydrated and smooth||Enhances curl patterns and provides moisture for curly hair||Provides curl definition, volume, and frizz-free|
|Disadvantages||Not suitable for greasy hair||Too heavy for fine hair||Doesn’t lather up very well|
|Key Ingredients||Coconut Oil, Vanilla Bean Extract, Essence of Tiare||Coconut Oil, Honey, Citrus Oil||Coconut Water, Flaxseed|
Next, let’s check out the value of Coconut Milk Shampoo.
Where to Buy OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo?
OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo costs around $6.93 for 13 fl oz on Amazon. If you prefer a more generous size, you can opt for the 25.4 fl oz size (which is a pretty large bottle) for around $12.24.
- TRANSPORT HAIR TO THE TROPICS: This 13-fluid ounce bottle of OGX Nourishing + Coconut Milk Shampoo helps strengthen and hydrate hair, leaving it looking glowing, healthy and beautiful with every wash
- NOURISH, STRENGTHEN & LOCK IN MOISTURE: Suitable for all hair types and textures, this creamy nourishing shampoo leaves hair with super shine and added moisture that won't weigh down your tresses
- HAIR CARE INSPIRED BY NATURE: The deeply nourishing blend contains coconut oil, which helps add lustrous shine and softness to hair, coconut milk to keep hair strong and smooth and whipped egg white protein, for smooth and healthy looking hair
In addition, the company encourages customers to pair it with the OGX Coconut Milk Conditioner which delivers hydration and strength in every use. You can buy them as a bundle for $21.79 (13 fl oz each), which is genuinely affordable.
- STRENGTHEN & HYDRATE: This blend with coconut milk, coconut oil & ultra whipped egg white proteins will help add strength, elasticity, hydration & balance for healthy hair; beauty, pure and simple
- NATURAL INDULGENCE: Indulge your hair the way nature intended. We'll never ask what you want to fix about your hair, we just want to know what you love about it, so we can make you love it even more
- BEAUTY PURE & SIMPLE: OGX products are inspired by nature. We don’t try to make hair look “perfect” because we’d rather make hair look fuller, smoother, curlier, or bouncier & smell irresistible.
Next, let’s take a look at the ingredients.
OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo Ingredients Breakdown
The OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo is free of sulfates and parabens, but it’s not vegan and cruelty-free. It is formulated with three key ingredients: Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil, and Egg White Proteins. Given below is the ingredient list of OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo.
Check out the table below to see what the functions of these ingredients are in the formulation.
|Surfactant||Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Coco/Isostearamide, Laureth-4, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate|
|Viscosity controller||Sodium Chloride, Acrylates Copolymer, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride|
|Anti-static agents||Polyquaternium-6, Polyquaternium-10|
|Chelating agent||Disodium EDTA|
|Preservative||Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Cetrimonium Chloride|
|Emulsifying agents||Glycol Distearate, Trideceth-12, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate|
|Unclassified||Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Albumen, Panthenol|
Next, we uncovered the benefits of the prominent ingredients (bold text) and what they do to your hair backed up by science.
Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil
Coconut oil is packed with a medium-chain fatty acid called lauric acid that may reduce protein loss in both damaged and undamaged hair due to bleaching, UV exposure, coloring, chemically treated, hot tools, etc.
This is because coconut oil has a unique ability to penetrate your hair shaft and reduce the excess water absorbed by your hair which can limit everyday damage. It also helps to treat dry, flaky, and itchy scalps thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Coconut Milk (Hydrolyzed Milk Protein)
Made from white flesh inside coconut shells, coconut milk is abundant in hair-loving nutrients, such as fatty acids, proteins, and vitamins. The oil is also one of the ingredients of coconut milk, which is why it helps to strengthen your hair cuticles, leaving your hair less likely to break.
Moreover, coconut oil is also beneficial to restore dry hair and scalps as well as damaged hair since it acts as a hair conditioner.
Egg White Proteins (Albumen)
The proteins and vitamins in albumen are beneficial to strengthen the cortex, preventing split ends and breakage. It also helps nourish your hair cuticles, leading to a smoother and shinier appearance.
Although there’s limited research about the benefits of egg whites for hair, anecdotal reports show that it helps treat dandruff, reduce sebum, and strengthen hair.
Made from pantothenic acid or vitamin B5, panthenol may help provide strength, shine, and smoothness to your hair. Panthenol is also beneficial to protect your hair from physical or chemical damage and may slow down thinning hair.
It is a silicone-based polymer that helps reduce frizz and moisturize your hair without weighing it down. Amodimethicone is also beneficial to increase hair softness, shine, texture, and color preservation.
However, one review suggests that if you use amodimethicone-containing products regularly, you should use a deep cleansing to remove buildup.
These are the hero ingredients of OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo that help improve the strength, moisture, and softness of your hair. Next, let’s check out real-life user reviews.
Benefits of Coconut Milk Shampoo Backed by Real-life User Experiences
The OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo sits at 4.6 out of 5 stars from 9,026+ global ratings on Amazon. Here’s the rating by feature:
- Scent: 4.5 / 5 stars
- Softness: 4.3 / 5 stars
- Moisturizing: 4.2 / 5 stars
Let’s check out what customers say about the shampoo.
Reviews of someone who used the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner.
Someone wrote that sulfate-free shampoo like OGX Coconut Milk helps tame her frizzy hair.
One user reported that the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo helps soothe her irritated scalp and reduces excessive hair shedding.
However, we found some negative reviews and someone mentioned that this shampoo leaves her hair knotted.
Someone with oily hair reported that this shampoo makes her hair greasy easily.
Now we know that the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo did deliver soft and healthy hair to many people. However, this is not suitable for everyone, especially if you have an oily scalp and hair.
Next, let’s check out the side effects of the product.
Possible Side Effects and Disadvantages
The OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo may cause side effects to some people who are sensitive to certain ingredients. Given below are the possible side effects and disadvantages of the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo:
- Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate can be too strong for those who have extremely dry, curly, and coily hair. It is recommended to use the conditioner after washing to restore your hair’s moisture.
- The OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo is not preservative-free as it contains Diazolidinyl Urea (formaldehyde donors), Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, and Cetrimonium Chloride which may pose a high risk of allergic reactions to people who have identified allergy to them. If you’re looking for a chemical preservative-free option, you can opt for 100% PURE Honey & Virgin Coconut Restorative Shampoo.
- Fragrance is present in the formulation which may bother some who are allergic to it. If you prefer a fragrance-free shampoo, The Honest Company 2-in-1 Cleansing Shampoo + Body Wash or HiBar Shampoo Bar can be alternatives to consider.
- The shampoo contains Cocamidopropyl Betaine which may cause eye irritations if the product runs into your eyes. Rinse your eyes immediately to soothe the irritation.
Always cross-check the ingredients and allergies you have to prevent unwanted effects. If you notice skin irritations, you can use aloe vera or a cold compress to soothe your skin.
Next, let’s check out the alternatives to the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo.
Alternatives to OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo
If you’re looking for a similar shampoo for strengthening and moisturizing, you may want to consider these products offered by Briogeo, Pantene, and SheaMoisture.
Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Super Moisture Shampoo
- DEEP CLEANSING AND CONDITIONING FOR DRY, DAMAGED HAIR: Briogeo’s Don’t Despair, Repair! Super Moisture Shampoo is an ultra-hydrating, foamy, sulfate-free shampoo that brings a surge of intensive moisture while removing dirt, oil, and buildup from the hair. Perfect for anyone with dry and damaged hair, this shampoo features an innovative formula that merges the intense cleansing action of a shampoo with the moisture of a deep conditioning mask without weighing the hair down or stripping color.
- PACKED WITH POTENT NATURAL INGREDIENTS: This shampoo provides deep cleansing and hydration benefits through a unique combination of natural ingredients. Algae extract nourishes and revitalizes the hair while panthenol enhances hair elasticity, moisture retention and flexibility. Rosehip oil provides essential fatty acids which balance hair hydration and control frizz. Shea Butter moisturizes, softens and hydrates the hair.
- ADDITIVE AND CRUELTY-FREE: Briogeo is proud to say that Don’t Despair, Repair! Super Moisture Shampoo is 95% naturally derived. Specially formulated, this moisturizing shampoo for dry, damaged hair does not include sulfates, silicones, phthalates, parabens, DEA, or artificial dyes. It is certified gluten-free, cruelty-free and vegan so you can feel good about looking good!
This scientifically-proven shampoo is designed for dry, damaged, and brittle hair of all types and textures. Briogeo Super Moisture Shampoo harnesses the powerful rosehip oil, algae extract, plant proteins, and B vitamins to protect, moisturize, and nourish your hair from the inside out.
It is also sulfate-free, vegan, and Leaping Bunny-certified cruelty-free. A pack of this shampoo costs you around $39 for 16 fl oz.
Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Renewal Shampoo
- Daily Moisture Renewal Shampoo nourishes hair with a potent blend of Pro-V nutrients and antioxidants so hair is strong against damage
- Gently cleanses hair with a nutrient-rich lather that wraps every strand for effortless detangling
- Powerful Pro-V formula deeply hydrates and nourishes hair
The Pantene Pro-V is specifically crafted for dry hair that needs extra moisture to limit everyday damage. The Pro V Nutrients Technology contains moisturizing lipids to improve your hair’s elasticity from the inside and antioxidants that protect your hair from free radical damage.
However, this shampoo is not sulfate-free. It comes with a super affordable price, which is only $5.65 for 12.6 fl oz.
SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo
- SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Shampoo is a phthalate free shampoo, paraben free shampoo and cruelty-free that hair gently cleanses natural hair and improves hair's health and restores shine.
- This curl enhancing shampoo is a natural hair shampoo that contains coconut oil to moisturize and protect hair while replenishing lost oil.
- SheaMoisture delivers this silicone free shampoo that is a curl care shampoo and also contains hibiscus flower extracts to improve hair elasticity while reducing the occurrence of breakage.
This shampoo is loaded with lots of moisturizing ingredients that help to nourish wavy, curly, and coily hair. The shampoo is loaded with coconut oil, silk proteins, rosemary oil, aloe vera, and neem oil that promote hydrated, bouncy, and frizz-free hair in every use. It is also infused with hibiscus flowers to improve hair’s elasticity, reducing breakage and split ends.
Additionally, SheaMoisture is also free of sulfates, animal testing, petrolatum, and mineral oil. You can get the product for around $10.97 (13 fl oz) on Amazon.
Bottom Line: A Shampoo for Hair Strengthening and Hydrating
The OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo is loaded with scientifically-backed nutrients that help strengthen, nourish, and protect dry, damaged hair. Its sulfate-free formula is also beneficial to gently cleanse your hair, leaving it soft and shiny. Given the excessive washing, it is recommended to follow with the OGX Coconut Milk Conditioner to deliver extra hydration and strength to your hair.
Hope this review was useful and helped you gain clarity about the product. If you’re ready to try it, click the button to buy the OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of hair is Coconut Milk Shampoo good for?
The OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo is good for all hair types (1 to 4C type). If you have dry, damaged, and weakened hair, this shampoo can be a great option to help repair, moisturize, and protect your hair from within. But this article also covers other coconut shampoos by OGX if you have a particular need.
Is OGX actually good for your hair?
It is loaded with scientifically-backed ingredients to improve your hair’s elasticity, softness, and shine. The shampoo is also free from harsh ingredients that can harm your hair.
Is OGX Coconut Milk Shampoo sulfate-free?
Yes, it is free of SLS and SLES. However, the sub of sulfates may be too strong for very fine and extremely dry hair. That’s why you should follow with hydrating hair care to rebalance the moisture and prevent future damage.
Karmelia is a writer at Reactive hair with a background in International Relations. She is usually glued to her laptop exploring the skincare & haircare world. She loves writing quality content that help people get a better understanding of the safety of the products they are using for better hair health.
Driven by her enthusiasm, Karmelia strives to empower ordinary individuals in making informed choices about their haircare routines. Recognizing the overwhelming number of products available in the market, she understands the importance of reliable guidance to navigate through the options. Through her articles, she aims to bridge the gap between scientific knowledge and everyday haircare, ensuring that her readers can easily grasp the benefits and suitability of various products.